Questions about Client mode Mac / Windows

Skull

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having connectivity issues with my NANO using Window’s 8.

Here is what I can do:

I can SSH into the pineapple without issue

I can browse to the pineapple without issue

When I Internet connectivity it does not work (check bulletins)

Here are my settings:

On Windows:

I have my WiFi adapter configured to share with Ethernet 3.

The Pineapple adapter:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASIX AX88772A USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-CA-8B-3C-B9

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.42.239(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 7, 2016 5:11:30 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 7, 2016 5:12:17 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.42.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.42.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

My shared adapter:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : foo.bar.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : company Y 802.11ac Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-YY-ZZ-CB-D9-7F

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.115(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:48:09 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 8, 2016 5:24:36 AM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

On my NANO:

root@Pineapple-Nano:~# netstat -nr

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface

0.0.0.0 172.16.42.42 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 br-lan

172.16.42.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br-lan

root@Pineapple-Nano:~# ifconfig -a

br-lan Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:CA:80:7C:2D

inet addr:172.16.42.1 Bcast:172.16.42.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:7454 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:2723 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:731305 (714.1 KiB) TX bytes:334477 (326.6 KiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:CA:80:7C:2D

RX packets:10220 errors:0 dropped:7 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:2737 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:1849024 (1.7 MiB) TX bytes:335129 (327.2 KiB)

Interrupt:4

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1

RX packets:1114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:95991 (93.7 KiB) TX bytes:95991 (93.7 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:CA:8B:3A:67

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:3847 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:366636 (358.0 KiB)

wlan0-1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:C0:CA:8B:3A:67

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:3846 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:366276 (357.6 KiB)

wlan1mon Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-C0-CA-8B-3B-F0-00-44-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING PROMISC ALLMULTI MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:36929 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:8385061 (7.9 MiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Is there a command I can run from the command line that checks the bulletins, etc? I tried pings and nslookup – no luck.

I am missing something simple here – any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

The Pineapple adapter:
Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASIX AX88772A USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-CA-8B-3C-B9
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.42.239(Preferred)

Static the IPv4 address on your WiFi Pineapple Ethernet adapter to 172.16.42.42 -- that's the default the NANO is expecting to receive an Internet connection from.

I must have broken something along the way. The Nano itself has internet access. I know this because autossh connects to my relay server and I can ssh into the Nano from another network. However, when piping tcpdump into wireshark, I started seeing a flood of black (retransmission packets.)

I rebooted and whitelisted my phone and joined a fake network provided by the Nano. No internet access. Where should I start on this one?

Welp. Got it working with the following, but should I have to have done that?

# add to /etc/firewall.user
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --out-interface usb0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A FORWARD --in-interface wlan0 -j ACCEPT

#restart firewall
/etc/init.d/firewall restart

I didn't try this yet because I was able to connect using wlan2 in client mode using the Alfa usb AWUS036NEH to a wifi connection and it gives the nano Internet connection now. Is the pine management in browser the only way to connect to wifi? I might make a script that uses wlan2 and looks for certain open hotspots like xfinity or other fast open ones and automatically Connect and if it doesn't find it keeps searching.

I didn't try this yet because I was able to connect using wlan2 in client mode using the Alfa usb AWUS036NEH to a wifi connection and it gives the nano Internet connection now. Is the pine management in browser the only way to connect to wifi? I might make a script that uses wlan2 and looks for certain open hotspots like xfinity or other fast open ones and automatically Connect and if it doesn't find it keeps searching.

Can you capture a client of yours (phone or something) with the Nano and verify that associated clients have internet too? If it does, maybe I didn't initially because a tethered phone uses the usb0 interface and the alpha registers as wlan2.

Not that it will matter after the update; it's more to satiate my curiosity.

Can you capture a client of yours (phone or something) with the Nano and verify that associated clients have internet too? If it does, maybe I didn't initially because a tethered phone uses the usb0 interface and the alpha registers as wlan2.

Not that it will matter after the update; it's more to satiate my curiosity.

Yes it works I tried it on an android and iphone the "FreeWifi" Ap has internet connection. So I have wlan0,wlan1,wlan2 now

Yes it works I tried it on an android and iphone the "FreeWifi" Ap has internet connection. So I have wlan0,wlan1,wlan2 now

Darren had said there were no drivers for the Alfa yet. I can't get my Alfa to pickup client mode. It shows up as wlan2, but when I try to connect it to Internet with client mode, it fails and defaults back to wlan1 and no connection is made. Tried it multiple times.

EDIT: scratch that. When you conned wlan2 to Internet via client mode, it doesn't tell you you're connected, it just resets. But I see I have an ip and verified I have internet for connected clients. All is well :)

Darren had said there were no drivers for the Alfa yet. I can't get my Alfa to pickup client mode. It shows up as wlan2, but when I try to connect it to Internet with client mode, it fails and defaults back to wlan1 and no connection is made. Tried it multiple times.

EDIT: scratch that. When you conned wlan2 to Internet via client mode, it doesn't tell you you're connected, it just resets. But I see I have an ip and verified I have internet for connected clients. All is well :)

I was confused to because it doesnt say your connected using wlan2 is just shows the menu to select wifi and enter password but once you check the network tab its there. Mines a little buggy Ive noticed to when I plug it into the nano and start it up sometimes the light on nano goes a really faint green(im guessing cuz of the green light inside peeking thru) and the client ap and management are up but I cant connect to them keeps asking for password when its the right one and the alfa usb dongle is lit up and led on but wlan2 isnt showing up. If I remove the usb dongle and power it on and off again it lights up blue and I can connect to both Ap's no issues. Almost like its not enough power to handle both devices. If I unplug nano from pc and power it back up and wait until the blue light stops flashing and is constant and then plug in alfa usb they both stay working fine and it recognizes wlan2 .

I have both usb plugs connected to my laptop with the ac adapter plugged in. I tried plugging one into a ipad charger and another into my pc and then they all light up as well no plugging in alfa later. They are all USB 3.0 ports on my pc so I have no idea it didnt do this until adding the alfa NEH dongle. The belkin AC usb adapter works fine with it but its not supported on the nano yet so it just stays lit and flashing and doesnt do anything and thats only after installing the drivers for linux for it.

It works but its definitely tricky. Maybe when new firmware comes out it will fix this issue and fully support it. Could only be me idk but Im probobly going to use my wall adapter that has 2 ipad/tablet ports (newer 2.4amp output and old usb is 1.5amp output) and use that to power it from now on since theres no swapping out needed. I dont use ICS anyways it wont use my connection for some reason so no point it even being connected to the laptop then.

Well, I don't know why, maybe it's some feature (maybe Darren can elaborate), but when I boot up the pineapple with my Alfa attached, it does the green LED thing and bypasses my wlan1 onboard card and the Alfa becomes wlan1. Don't know what use that would have. If you boot the pineapple, then plug your other card in once it's booted, there's no problem.

I don't know why you're having power issues. I just connect the pineapple to my juicepack 4000, then connect to the management interface with my iPhone. Then I plug the Alfa in and connect it to my wifi at my place and everything works fine. I don't even plug it into my laptop.

9BFFBC72-2F53-4532-98A6-CF2BFC364C83.jpg

Your right the juice pack powers it perfectly! I made mine like yours def alot better and not as long and doesnt cover the vents. Ive noticed with the alfa plugged in it gets hot QUICK!

Yeah it works well. I want to get another one of those 180 degree adapters. I'll use it on the power side, then I can use my USB linksys dongle instead of the Alfa and I should be able to fit it all in the tactical case.

Client mode with most common adapters is fixed in 1.0.2.

The issue you're having with the ALFA at bootup has to do with the timing of device enumeration -- which is also fixed in the next firmware.

Power wise 1.5 amps is sufficient. Heat wise it's rated to 110 C / 230 F -- so while it'll feel warm it's within tolerances.

Just as soon we we get both NANO and TETRA out of dev phases with official launch we'll have adapters and other various accessories available al la carte,

Client mode with most common adapters is fixed in 1.0.2.

The issue you're having with the ALFA at bootup has to do with the timing of device enumeration -- which is also fixed in the next firmware.

Power wise 1.5 amps is sufficient. Heat wise it's rated to 110 C / 230 F -- so while it'll feel warm it's within tolerances.

Just as soon we we get both NANO and TETRA out of dev phases with official launch we'll have adapters and other various accessories available al la carte,

Ok so it wasn't as hot as I thought I noticed I had it in a bad spot on top of the laptop and I guess where alot of heat was generating. I moved it over and cooled down. I guess if it did become an issue later on I could get a small southbridge heatsink or those ones that look like bandaids that stick on. Just for fun darren have you tried connecting 2 nanos into each other and making a dual core 800mhz!? Idk if they would run together but it would be like a mini tetra and 4 radios to do whatever you wanted.

Once they do finally get internet, how would we go about using Wireshark to capture packets coming through it? What's the recommended method?

Also, is there a tshark module in the works that will make WS unnncessary?

If you have remote ssh access, I like to pipe the output of tcpdump on the pineapple to a local wireshark instance. Looks something like this

ssh nano tcpdump -U -s0 -i br-lan -w - | wireshark -k -i -

Archived