Introducing the WiFi Pineapple NANO

Darren Kitchen

nano3.jpg

Hey guys we're super excited to introduce our 6th gen wireless network auditing tool! We're calling it the WiFi Pineapple NANO. We engineered it from the ground up based on the successes and feedback from the Mark V with a focus performance and usability. What we ended up with is something total new. It's not a simple client radio, or just a router or access point. We believe the WiFi Pineapple NANO is the most powerful wireless network auditing tool you can put in your pants. It leverages our unique hardware design and intuitive new web interface to integrate with your pentest workflow.

There's a huge emphasis on workflow and usability with the WiFi Pineapple NANO. We completely re-engineered the web interface built on modern standards. It's fast, intuitive, responsive and familiar. For example new table views give you a detailed look of the WiFi landscape and context menus provide instant access to core PineAP features and modules. But it's not just the web interface either - the entire system was rebuilt on a modern base and compartmentalized in way that'll allow us to take the platform to the level.
Of course modules (ya know, Infusions :wink:) remain a core feature. Over the air downloads of community developed add-ons and web front-ends to popular tools remain. The new API is extremely simple for seasoned developers and newcomers alike.
We also put together a really sweet Tactical kit. The case straps to your bag as an every-day-carry including a new Pineapple Juice battery pack. We even tailored the case with a nice Hak5 imprint liner and a cut out for the USB host port so you don't have to take it out of the case to plug in your phone.
Oh yeah, it works with your phone now. The new WiFi Pineapple Android app simplifies USB Internet connection sharing. You just tap to tether and it instantly connects to the beautiful new mobile friendly web interface. No root required. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hak5.pineappleconnector
You can also plug the NANO into your laptop and it'll both power on and enumerate as a USB Ethernet adapter so less cables and mess.
And if you're doing a long term deployment, you can just plug the NANO into any standard USB power plug. Getting out-of-band access is even easier seeing as it supports the new gen of QMI-based modems.
Here'a an intro video Seb and I made:

So it should be no surprise that we had been working very hard to bring the new device for our little WiFi Pineapple ecosystem. What really surprised us though was the Mark V availability ending so soon. We were caught off guard post-DEFCON when our parts supplier notified us that the RTL8187 would no longer be available.

We had developed a Mark V successor prototype using an alternative chipset, one that would allow for a somewhat inline change, but we found it came with a number of new complications that made the change unfeasible. At that time we had also anticipated the launch of our new WiFi Pineapple device to be much sooner.

That being said, with as meticulous as we have been throughout the development, it's added considerable time to the process. Thankfully though our attention to detail has paid off as what we've developed is nothing short of amazing. We're so proud of the new device! Design decisions were made based on feedback from users and directly by observing the way in which the Mark V is being used, and it's clear we have a real winner.

Unfortunately we underestimated the time in which certification takes to complete. For the last month and a half we've been anticipating the ability to launch for mass availability "in just another week or two". We have CE. We have FCC. We even have units in hand, awesome firmware, and a team raring to go. The latest development is that we're undergoing SAR testing, and sadly between labs being backed up and the new dongle requirement - we're looking at needing to wait just a while longer.

The good news is that we're ready to launch for development and evaluation - meaning software developers like you here on the forums will now have early access to the new device. I want to give the core community that has been so good to us first dibs. Link at the bottom of the post. We'll be updating the other sites soon in anticipation of the official launch.

Lastly, thank you for your patience and continued support for the project. I know it's not easy when we run into snags like this, especially while we're working tirelessly and quietly to bring something epic to the WiFi Pineapple community. And yes, we're rethinking that quietly part now. I'll keep you all updated with all of the latest as we take this next big step together and I'll try my best to answer any questions you have.

Order the WiFi Pineapple Evaluation and Development Kit here:
Specifications:
CPU: 400 MHz MIPS Atheros AR9331 SoC
Memory: 16 MB ROM, 64 MB DDR2 RAM
Disk: ROM + Micro SD Card Reader (card not included)
Wireless: Atheros AR9331 + Atheros AR9271, both IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Ports: (2) RP-SMA Antenna, Ethernet over USB (ASIX AX88772A), USB 2.0 Host, Micro SD
Power: USB 5V 1.5A. Includes USB Y-Cable
Configurable Status Indicator LED, Configurable Reset Button
FCC NOTICE: This kit is designed to allow: (1) Product developers to evaluate electronic components, circuitry, or software associated with the kit to determine whether to incorporate such items in a finished product and (2) Software developers to write software applications for use with the end product. This kit is not a finished product and when assembled may not be resold or otherwise marketed unless all required FCC equipment authorizations are first obtained. Operation is subject to the condition that this product not cause harmful interference to licensed radio stations and that this product accept harmful interference. Unless the assembled kit is designed to operate under part 15, part 18 or part 95 of this chapter, the operator of the kit must operate under the authority of an FCC license holder or must secure an experimental authorization under part 5 of this chapter. For evaluation only; not FCC approved for resale.
  • Upvote 9

what are the specs? what is the difference between "EVALUATION AND DEVELOPMENT KIT" and the final shiping product?

jordan

The only difference between the Evaluation and Development kit and the final shipping product is the final certification. We have passed RF testing for CE and FCC but are currently underway with SAR since it's a mobile device. Once that is complete we can go to mass market. Until then the marketing is limited to development and evaluation.

Specifications:
CPU: 400 MHz MIPS Atheros AR9331 SoC
Memory: 16 MB ROM, 64 MB DDR2 RAM
Disk: ROM + Micro SD (not included)
Wireless: Atheros AR9331 + Atheros AR9271, both IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Ports: (2) RP-SMA Antenna, Ethernet over USB (ASIX AX88772A), USB 2.0 Host, Micro SD
Power: USB 5V 1.5A. Includes USB Y-Cable
Configurable Status Indicator LED, Configurable Reset Button
I also forgot to link to the Android app:
Only permission is network access. No root required.

Yeee Heee WOoOT! :) Now this will be, a pineapple for me!! Just tell the FCC to let me be me on HAK5 TV and we're all good :D lol okay okay calm down... I seriously think I'll get one though! I've basically been pineappling anyway just without a dedicated device for it, just using a compatible wifi device and good tools (even if custom)... So now I'd have one just to have one :D

P.S. AR9271 for the win :P

Edited by AlfAlfa

no ethernet jack :mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow:

Ports: (2) RP-SMA Antenna, Ethernet over USB, USB 2.0 Host, Micro SD
I just updated the specs to clarify that the Ethernet over USB is via an ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772A Fast Ethernet chip.
So basically you plug it into your laptop and it'll recognize as a USB Ethernet adapter (e.g. eth1).
We looked at the MK5 when powered from the USB DC Barrel cable and connected via an Ethernet cable often to laptops which lack Ethernet (I hate this trend) using a USB Ethernet adapter. In the end it's a mess of cables and dongles - and we sought to remedy this with the NANO. The same plug that powers it offers your device a USB Ethernet adapter - which makes setup so much easier.
Of course if you're looking to plug it into a Cat5 outlet on a network you can similarly plug a USB Ethernet adapter into the USB 2.0 Host port - though we found this to be uncommon in user testing.
  • Upvote 1

Also just ordered, interested to see how it differs from the MK5 , or how it plays alongside the MK5.

Love the fact we now have a mobile app. (maybe there should also be an OTG cable also that comes with the new device), also what is a "Morale patch" ?

Lastly what is it that I see plugged into the battery that comes with the tactical kit?

Of course if you're looking to plug it into a Cat5 outlet on a network you can similarly plug a USB Ethernet adapter into the USB 2.0 Host port - though we found this to be uncommon in user testing.

Will an attached USB Ethernet adapter be able to be configured for both direct connection to a computer (inbuilt DHCP "classic" mode) and also direct to an existing Ethernet network with it's own DHCP server/gateway etc??

I'm glad you've decided to use RP-SMA connectors... I never fully understood why the Mk V had "normal" SMA sockets when 99.99% of all other WiFi SMA implementations are RP-SMA.

Not overly keen with dropping of the native Ethernet port, nor the dedicated DC jack... but this being said, I'll still buy one!

Edited by lunokhod

(maybe there should also be an OTG cable also that comes with the new device), also what is a "Morale patch" ?

Lastly what is it that I see plugged into the battery that comes with the tactical kit?

I bet "USB Y-Cable" listed in the includes is an OTG cable (or at least has a microUSB plug on one end)

The "Morale patch" is the pineapple patch you see on the case, I got one with the tactical edc bag but it looks smaller in the nano picture than that one i got

The plug on the batter is probably an angled usb adapter so you can plug it into the pineapple while they're both in the edc case

• Upvote 1

Cheers Hak5 team! Can't wait to get mine and start playing! Combo'ing the features and lessons learned from the lanturtle with the pineapple is brilliant. Keep up the great work!

telot

Ordered! Looking forward to receiving this as I've been waiting a while. Very new to this, so am wondering:

• Is there much difference between setting this up, and the MarkV?
  • Any recommendations for Micro SD card capacity? Minimum and maximum storage space?

Cheers all

B

Hey everyone,

I can answer a few questions:

1. The morale patch is a small velcro patch that fits on the EDC pouch.
  2. There is no OTG adapter included in the box, but it also isn't needed. For the android app, you simply connect your Android phone to the USB female port on the NANO and open the app. It will handle the rest using USB tethering.
  3. The USB-Y cable is to provide enough power to the device, as some laptops do not output enough on a single port.
  4. The WiFi Pineapple NANO ships with a stager firmware (and instructions) on setting it up the very first time. This ensures that the user is always on the latest firmware. The WiFi Pineapple NANO interface is completely different to the old interface, so it is also different to set up. It is however much easier and smoother now.
  5. We have tried SD cards up to 32GB in size, but should support up to 64GB. I'll confirm this again later.

We are very excited about this product, and are looking forward to getting them into your hands ASAP.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• Upvote 3

Hey Seb!

Any iOS love coming? Doesn't even have to be put through the ringer of the app-store - side-loading it would be fine too :D

telot

Hey Seb!

Any iOS love coming? Doesn't even have to be put through the ringer of the app-store - side-loading it would be fine too :D

telot

The biggest issue is honestly that I do not own an iOS device, and don't own a Macbook / OSX machine.. Ask Apple why they don't allow emulators + any OS to develop on.

Even though these are some issues, I am not ruling out adding iOS support in the future. I just cannot give an ETA.

The biggest issue is honestly that I do not own an iOS device, and don't own a Macbook / OSX machine.. Ask Apple why they don't allow emulators + any OS to develop on.

Even though these are some issues, I am not ruling out adding iOS support in the future. I just cannot give an ETA.

I kinda figured as much :)

There are services out there where you can program your app once, and it cross-compiles. I think they're best geared for webview-style apps, but I could be wrong. Maybe worth checking out? No macbook required and I know at least one guy who'd be willing to test!

Example:

https://www.codenameone.com/index.html

telot

I kinda figured as much :)

There are services out there where you can program your app once, and it cross-compiles. I think they're best geared for webview-style apps, but I could be wrong. Maybe worth checking out? No macbook required and I know at least one guy who'd be willing to test!

Example:

https://www.codenameone.com/index.html

telot

Yeah, I know -- lots of solutions for that, but I'd rather write native. Either way, I'll consider it. Though, I can also write the code and give it to my friend to compile and test ;)

Well done with the work but i have some cuestions...

There will be suport for the Mark V when the NANO it´s out? Will be the mark V upgrated? What will make the difference between the Mark V and The NANO? Just the interface, une chipset and the 2 USB ? Anithing new with the software? Maybe an integration between the mark V and de Lan Turttle? I´m a little worry about mark V with this "second version" and the lan turttle as it is....

The thing to remain aware of is that the Nano is in essence the exact same device - same hardware, same software - as the Mark V and as such they would have to deliberately alter the software to make it NOT run on the Mark V. That might boost sales a puny bit, but the backlash from the current installed base, which is quite sizable, is likely to be severe plus the people currently using the Mark V will likely see the benefit of owning a Nano and possibly get one of those as well.

What's cool about the Nano for Hak5 is that it, being smaller, is probably a bit cheaper to produce, meaning they might be able to offer it for a lower price than the existing Pineapple. Maybe not at first... new device, higher demand and a slew of development costs to recover, but eventually...

Bottom line I'm hoping to get one. It would really nice under the christmas tree.