single board computers. repeaters? throupup?

i8igmac

im looking to upgraid y current setup... i have a few devices in my attic space that act as a wifi long range repeater...

xZsmQ1X.jpg

AS7s1co.jpg

So... what your looking at is a raspberry pi b+, kali inclosed in some lego's...

there is a NHR alfa card connected to a long range backfire dish antenna that i use for OUT to internet device...

you can see a wifi router running ddwrt, this is my hotspot... the pi provides dhcp to the router...

from what i understand, the usb ports and the ethernet port all share the same bus, witch resaults im a limmited throuput speed...

if i log into kali pi and perform a download speed test i see excellent resaults

root@iphone:~# wget testmy.net/dl-5000 -O /dev/null
--2015-12-15 15:13:30--  http://testmy.net/dl-5000
Resolving testmy.net (testmy.net)... 75.126.52.197
Connecting to testmy.net (testmy.net)|75.126.52.197|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `/dev/null'

[                              <=>                                                                              ] 5,134,659    917K/s   in 6.2s    

2015-12-15 15:13:36 (803 KB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [5134659]

if i get on my labtop, authenticate with the dd-wrt router and run the same test...

bigmac@bigmac-G74Sx ~ $ wget testmy.net/dl-5000 -O /dev/null
--2015-12-15 07:14:46--  http://testmy.net/dl-5000
Resolving testmy.net (testmy.net)... 75.126.52.197
Connecting to testmy.net (testmy.net)|75.126.52.197|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

[                                                                                           <=>          ] 5,134,653    300KB/s   in 20s    

2015-12-15 07:15:07 (246 KB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [5134653]

the kali pi (directly connected to out internet) can download a file size of 5134653 kb in 6.2 seconds

a client behind both dd-wrt and kali (2 hops?) can download a file size of 5134653 kb in 20 seconds

ill update post from mobile (g2g)... i have been looking at

ODROID-XU4

This might seem a little weird, but can you try to separate your 2 antennas a little bit more? I've seen weird problems with interference between 2 wifi cards are are too close to each other. It might be causing some lost packets. you might also run wireshark to see if there is anything obviously going wrong.

the classic h with omni directional antenna is doing nothing, it is just accessible when its needed.

as for the router sitting to close. I can agree with its location and maybe channel is causing some interference... I have been meaning to make changes...

I hope to make a purchase that will eliminate the Ethernet and shared USB bus bottleneck...

maybe a device that also includes built in Wi-Fi and a SMA connector?

Update... I just changed the channel on my dd-wrt to 13...and wow what a ddifference... no other router exist on the channel...

So. The alfa card with a dish like antenna connects to internet source access point on channel 6 (from long distance)... then ddwrt broadcast open-wifi on channel 13... and now there is a improvement with my client machines download speeds.

When you compare the clients around my house vs the pi in the attic space witch is directly connected to the internet access point from a long distance...

You will see speeds now from the clients at ten seconds vs the pi at 5 seconds... (wget example above)

A video walk through may provide a clear understanding of my current setup

While the Odroid-XU4 is an absolute monster of a machine, they're not the easiest to keep up to date, kernel-wise. You're effectively vendor-bound and while they certainly do an admirable job I would recommend the PcDuino 3 nano over it for this specific purpose.

Both have:

- GBit ethernet.

- Multiple USB busses so you can get some real traffic going on.

- Sufficient CPU horsepower to push that data around.

- Pretty much identical dimensions.

Differences:

- The XU4 has a more powerful CPU, but you'll be driving your Ferrari in a residential area ONLY so meh.

- The XU4 has a vastly more advanced GPU, but since you're not going to watch a movie from it in your attic...

- The XU4 has twice the memory, which you won't use if you're just pushing a bit of data around.

- The XU4 is actively cooled, meaning it's more power-hungry (like, $4 per year more power hungry. Yawn) but with a moving part it'll be slightly more prone to failures.

- The XU4 comes with a power adapter that uses a proper barrel plug where the Nano uses that same small and less reliable USB connector thing as the Pi (rated for just 100 insertions if memory serves) and no power adapter for this is included. Not even the cable (but since you have a Pi you already have this)

- The Nano is actively community-supported, meaning you can get a kernel that's just days behind where Linus's stock Linux kernel is.

- The Nano costs a third of what the XU4 commands, and that's before shipping comes into play (remember, the XU4 comes via Fedex straight from Korea, which adds another $25 easily)

- The Nano will be in your possession sooner due to it being made in the US.

- The Nano has a SATA port you can trivially attach an SSD to, or even a 1-to-5 port multiplier and turn it into a fileserver like I did (see Hacks & Mods)

Edited by cooper

I more or less looking for a single board computer that will allow excellent throughput speeds from a Wi-Fi device to gig Ethernet...

I don't want to be limited to open wrt firmware. I'd like to have a fully functional Linux operating system...

if I don't find the hardware that suits my needs then I will look into possibly building a raid system simular to Coopers

• 3 weeks later...

145_G_1378050954109.jpg

this little adapter rp-sma to ufl will make those little chips antenna more applicable

sbc-ibt-single-board-computer-sbc.jpg

This Intel atom e3800 machine has 2 pciexpress slots... maybe I can find suggestions for boards with dual sockets for wifi chips to just plug and play... what kind of sockets would work???

I'm aiming for the perfect build... debian linux with dual radio's...

Edited by i8igmac

Looking at that board, those 2 slots don't look like PCIe. Maybe on the back there's something but those 2 on this side look like expansion slots.

Try to keep your eyes on the prize though. You wanted what effectively amounts to a router. If you want more (feature creep) go back to the drawing board with a nice description of what it is you actually want, then go back to hunting SBCs that match your requirements.

Looking at that board, those 2 slots don't look like PCIe. Maybe on the back there's something but those 2 on this side look like expansion slots.

Try to keep your eyes on the prize though. You wanted what effectively amounts to a router. If you want more (feature creep) go back to the drawing board with a nice description of what it is you actually want, then go back to hunting SBCs that match your requirements.

So, i have been looking at boards daily... i have now been looking into boards that include mini pcie (yes the board above is not pcie)

i have thought about mini pcie splitters

mini-pcie-splitter2-host-card.jpg

so lets look at the humming board... top and bottem side... just a quick search to find a board with a single mini pcie...

hummingboard-edge-components-top-1024x76

hummingboard-gate-components-bottom-1024

this board allows for a single mini pci express slot(i think?)... could i hook up a mini pcie splitter and then connect 2 wifi cards (pcie cards)?

my mind is wondering in directions im not even sure are posable... i would think these little boards are not capbilble of supplying enough voltage...

Here's the thing though. Why do you need PCIe to attach wifi cards that top off well BELOW the maximum throughput level of USB2? Plus, most wifi devices these days are USB I would say, so by demanding PCIe you're in fact limiting yourself.

I've got 2 Minnowboard MAX boards, one of which will be acting as my main router. It'll have GBit to the outside via a USB3-to-GbE adapter, GBit to the inside via the onboard RJ45 connector and I'll provide wifi to my home via the plain USB2 port. That's plenty for my needs, and possibly yours aswell.

Here's the thing though. Why do you need PCIe to attach wifi cards that top off well BELOW the maximum throughput level of USB2? Plus, most wifi devices these days are USB I would say, so by demanding PCIe you're in fact limiting yourself.

I've got 2 Minnowboard MAX boards, one of which will be acting as my main router. It'll have GBit to the outside via a USB3-to-GbE adapter, GBit to the inside via the onboard RJ45 connector and I'll provide wifi to my home via the plain USB2 port. That's plenty for my needs, and possibly yours aswell.

this is a nice looking board... i was not aware of the mini pcie speeds vs usb2.0... for my application, this might be a slight improvment, but i would still need a powered usb hub to connect 2 wireless cards...

searching for mini pcie is my attempt to eliminate the mess of wires and still include a second wifi card. i hope to have a single wire attached to this machine (only power cord)

i can step up in voltage, im not limmited to the 5v machines... maybe a board with builtin wireless N, and a mini pcie slot to include a second wifi card... i have even thought about renting a 3d printer to build a slick enclosure...

i do appropriate your comments, i hope to find something that fits the build soon as im getting anxious ;-)

nanopi2-01.jpg

this nanopi2 has built in wireless b/g/n... what options are there to install another wireless b/g/n device... are there any gpio options?

maybe there will be no need for a usb hub if only one usb device is sucking up power... i can purchase a usb card and cut the thing open and do some hacky soldering...

With small boards like these the PSU you get (assuming you do) tends to be just enough to power the board itself, not anything sucking power out through it. And wifi adapters can suck up a LOT of juice. So if you don't want a powered USB hub you should take a hard look at the power brick you get with your board and see if you can find one with the same plug that delivers a few more amps than that.

The pin array you see will likely be GPIO. There will be no expansion outside of the USB. You can see that snap-on wifi antenna connector at the bottom-left, between the button and the corner hole. Those things kinda suck.

And just to be clear, I've got plenty of experience by now with these funky types of boards, but they make new variants every other day so if you want to ask about if it can do something it helps to include with the pic a link to either the vendor or the designer.

Edited by cooper

With small boards like these the PSU you get (assuming you do) tends to be just enough to power the board itself, not anything sucking power out through it. And wifi adapters can suck up a LOT of juice. So if you don't want a powered USB hub you should take a hard look at the power brick you get with your board and see if you can find one with the same plug that delivers a few more amps than that.

The pin array you see will likely be GPIO. There will be no expansion outside of the USB. You can see that snap-on wifi antenna connector at the bottom-left, between the button and the corner hole. Those things kinda suck.

And just to be clear, I've got plenty of experience by now with these funky types of boards, but they make new variants every other day so if you want to ask about if it can do something it helps to include with the pic a link to either the vendor or the designer.

U.fl plugs are fine, as long as you plug it in once and leave it the hell alone. Every one of us has multiple devices with them right now and no one's really complaining about it.

DHCOM_Computer_On_Module_-_AM35x.jpg

This is the 'computer on module'

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

This would be the carrier board... it has what looks like a full size pci slot...the CoM slips into the pci slot on the board above...

Has any one experience with this kind of board? It looks like loads on possibilities and combination... toradex.com there might be offices in my area... I'm not sure if its a affordable solution but would last in the long run for future upgrade 's