New Idea? What yall think?

Shrine

So once upon a time I bought a Butterfly Labs 600 GH/S miner. I was thinking, Is there a way I can use all that number crunching power to crack hashes or even to brute force?

People have thought of this idea for a long time now but they are called Application Specific Integrated Circuits for a reason.

So, could it be possible to write an application that would work with the chip? you mean there are sever different applications that i had used with that chip so what if you were to write aan application that instead of connecting it to the mining server it would connect it to a local workstation and you could harness the power that way? Set up your own "Bitcoin mining(Number Crunching)" server on your network, then you could send the hash to the workstation that is running the miners and you could crack your hash that way...

One question is if it's really an ASIC, or a preprogrammed FPGA. If it's an FPGA you could chuck in a new design and have something else, but there's a reason FPGA programmers are paid as well as they are...

One question is if it's really an ASIC, or a preprogrammed FPGA. If it's an FPGA you could chuck in a new design and have something else, but there's a reason FPGA programmers are paid as well as they are...

Interesting thought, so are you seggesting that you could maybe flash a custom firmware on it?

Indeed I am. I found this github repo for their device which was referenced by this ARS article so it would suggest that it's at least possible. But where you get those firmwares and/or how hard/easy it would be to get one on there and actively mining, I have no idea.

Indeed I am. I found this github repo for their device which was referenced by this ARS article so it would suggest that it's at least possible. But where you get those firmwares and/or how hard/easy it would be to get one on there and actively mining, I have no idea.

So Cooper, To look at it from another prespective what if you hosted your own kinda bitcoin network. Use the same software with the bitcoin miner just connect it to your own serever. It will turn cracking password hashes into a 10 seccond activity...

I understand the appeal, but getting there is another story. Did you ever try to program an FPGA?

No, This miner is an ASIC chip so the only way to do it would to wright a program for it to use. The back story is I have been trying to crack a password hash for about 6 days with no luck and the bitcoin miner would probably do the same work about a million tomes faster than a cpu since the miner is made specificly to crunch numbers while the password is not.

No, This miner is an ASIC chip so the only way to do it would to wright a program for it to use. The back story is I have been trying to crack a password hash for about 6 days with no luck and the bitcoin miner would probably do the same work about a million tomes faster than a cpu since the miner is made specificly to crunch numbers while the password is not.

The problem is that particular miner is programed to do bitcoin math, which is nothing like password hashing. You would be better off selling the miner on ebay and using the funds to buy a couple high end nvidia video cards to use for oclhashcat.