Comp not starting up...

Moo

Well, I left my computer on over the weekend while I was away and when I got back it was stuck on "windows is shutting down"

Now it won't start back up. It goes where the Windows login would be (past booting, past windows XP starting up with the loading thingey) then the screen turns black, and my moniter displays the orange 'no signal' light on the power button.

Safe mode also freezes and refuses to start.

I don't have any linux boot CDs to test, though I could download one.

what do you guys think?

now when it gets to the loading screen it turns black then the computer restarts itself and goes back to bios and startup

I had something like this when I overclocked the computer but Im guessing that isn't it. Although to check if it's a hardware problem booting of a live CD could be useful.

Now it won't start back up. It goes where the Windows login would be (past booting, past windows XP starting up with the loading thingey) then the screen turns black, and my moniter displays the orange 'no signal' light on the power button.

Just to clarify, that orange light doesn't mean no signal, it means the monitor is on standby because the graphics card told it to go on stand by. When a monitor has no signal it will usually tell you it has no signal by displaying the words "no signal" on the screen. I helped ;)

Safe mode also freezes and refuses to start.

If it worked at all in safe mode, I would be thinking GFX driver. Try starting in "Enable VGA Mode".

Try anti-virus boot disc/virus scan?

solution 1: try safe mode

solution 2: remove unessary hadware .. just run mobo, cpu, one stick of ram, hdd, and gfx (if it isnt onboard)

solution 3: get a hammer

solution 4: reinstall windys; if you want to peserve your data first use a live linux cd then back up your data to dvd .. then reinstall

I'm guessing your windows box has been pwnd... :-( You left it on over the weekend and someone fucked it. But to be safe, turn of any over clocking. Try a repair of windows using the XP CD, if that does nothing you can just opt to reinstall over the current install of windows. This means all your files are safe, as no data is removed aside from your windows install.

I'm guessing your windows box has been pwnd... :-( You left it on over the weekend and someone fucked it. But to be safe, turn of any over clocking. Try a repair of windows using the XP CD, if that does nothing you can just opt to reinstall over the current install of windows. This means all your files are safe, as no data is removed aside from your windows install.

It says the admin password is wrong....

nevermind again. if this doesnt work Ill just reformat the partition.

also, after I uninstalled a linux distro from a partition, my boot has been messed up. I've been using a CD, because fixboot doesnt work/do anything. Will fixmbr mess up my parititions?

I think he can't tell the difference between a MBR record and the list of boot devices in the BIOS :/

My computer used to use GRUB to choose whether I wanted to start up in Linux or into Windows. I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to simply delete the partition after I didn't want to use linux. Thus there is no GRUB.

I need a way to fix the boot mechanism...

OK WTF?!

My computer isn't even on but speakers are softly outputting the radio or some song...

its "the rising sun" song thingey

that's a funny thing i had a old computer once and for i was setting it up it had power connect but was not booted up i accidentally touched the speaker connect cable to the cases mobo back panel and for some strange reason i could pick up radio signals just one fixed channel but it still freaks me out t the day no bull shit i think it made a point contact diode and made a simple radio i was covered once on myth busters .. *sigh*