Linux Laptop powerdrain

SystemCrash86

I recently bought a new laptop with windows 10 installed and the battery was about 6 hours or so. But now i have installed Linux on the same laptop the battery has gone down dramatically to just under two hours.

What happened and how could i fix this?

It's HP Envy Notebook with 12GB RAM and 2GB GeForce 940M installed.

I'm guessing the graphics adapter isn't going into low-power mode or maybe even your device is a hybrid with Intel and nVidia for video but on Linux you're only using the nVidia part?

I'm guessing the graphics adapter isn't going into low-power mode or maybe even your device is a hybrid with Intel and nVidia for video but on Linux you're only using the nVidia part?

Not sure, all i know is that out of the box i loaded windows 10 and the graphics drivers were up-to-date and that i had a battery life of at least six hours. But i Hate windows 10 and decided to install linux instead and i find out i have a battery life of about 1 and a half to 2 hours at most. What happened and how could i fix this?

"It's HP Envy Notebook with 12GB RAM and 2GB GeForce 940M installed."

Don't know how I missed that. Which distro are using though?

Well i wanted to get rid of Windows 10 as i really don't like it and the only linux i had at the time was kali linux so i installed that for the time being until i can download a fresh iso of ubuntu. Everything installs great. Its just my battery went from being about 6 hours in windows 10 with every driver up-to-date to a dissapointing 1 and a half maybe 2 hours at best if i'm lucky. What happened? Any ideas?

Not sure, all i know is that out of the box i loaded windows 10 and the graphics drivers were up-to-date and that i had a battery life of at least six hours. But i Hate windows 10 and decided to install linux instead and i find out i have a battery life of about 1 and a half to 2 hours at most. What happened and how could i fix this?

Um, no. This is the point where you investigate first. I said it was probably the graphics adapter. Your job now is to look what you've got configured in terms of graphics adapter, verify that it either has a problem or that it's on the up-and up, come back with your findings and only then comes the question "how could I fix this".

the only linux i had at the time was kali linux

Full install of kali 2.0?

Try apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade to make sure it has "all" possible updates and patches, then reboot and see what happens. Linux in general seems to not have the greatest acpi support in my experience, but not all distros are equal. uBunutu may have better support out of the box, but kali is meant more for pentesting,and probably doesn't have all the flags and configurations set in the kernel and Gnome desktop for power saving like you might find with other flavors of linux. Not that you can't fix it, but Kali is very specialize in its setup for the tools, not so much anything else which you may need to do on your own. Can also try a different desktop manager to see if it installs any other settings for power, as gdm3 in kali 2.0 has it's own power settings that differ from the main gnome power manager off their site from what I can tell. Another thread on the forums talked about this and we still couldn't figure out how to get the shutdown on critical battery working. Doesn't mean it can't, just I don't know enough about what's under the hood on the build to fix.