Is my optical drive broken? How to check?

vailixi

Ok this is kinda odd. I noticed my optical drive doesn't want to mount. It spins up a bit. But nothing happens. I tried to manually mount it but there's issues with fstab and I'm not sure what /etc/fstab is supposed to look like. Anybody have some ideas.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
/dev/mapper/StreetFighter--vg-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=43724152-31cc-4633-90c9-964f75ffe70b /boot           ext2    defaults        0       2
/dev/mapper/StreetFighter--vg-swap_1 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

My optical drive entry looks like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0

I see no reason to specify the filesystem type for an optical - let the OS work that one out for me. The thing to check when a mount fails is the dmesg output. More often than not it's the drive motor slipping on the disk, meaning either that the media was simply worn out, or the rotor motor is getting worn. You usually get a relatively high amount of vibration from the drive or hear the disk hitting/slipping against the side of the caddy. But these days you can get a replacement drive with 2 boxes of washing detergent so my advice to you would be to just buy a new drive (assuming it's not very new) and see if that helps. If so, the old drive was worn out. If not, the disk itself is suspect.