What stuff exactly can hak-rf one sniff/transmit

So I am wondering what protocols, frequencies, etc can hak-rf one sniff/transmit to? Sure I can get the frequencies from the hak shop, but I have absolutely no idea what kinds of protocols exist on those spectrums. What would the range be on some of those spectrums? I heard that one of the hacking books on the beagle bone black had a special recipie for 10 mile or so transmissions from a drop box, would the RF one be able to sniff that, or detect it?

There's also another question that has bothered me for a while that I have been meaning to ask about SDR. Most of the SDR programs I have tested you could only sniff one frequency at a time. If software were not the issue, could the hardware support monitoring of multiple frequencies within it's operational range? For instance, what If I had some hardware I could practice massive multithreading, and essentially wire up some events in a radio application? Is it the hardware that can only monitor a few frequencies at a time, or the actual software tools that have been built to date?

It can listen to anything from 10mhz up to 6ghz. That covers most radio communications frenquencies. It can't officially read some of the lower frequency rfid chips, but I thing Mike has done it. Not sure about the sniffing part. I don't see why it couldn't see more than one freq at a time.

If you've not done much with radio before, I'd suggest starting off with the Yardstick One and an RTL-SDR for transmit/receive respectively. It handles the modulation all on-chip so you don't need to have an in-depth knowledge of all of the maths thats going on. For that reason, the Yardstick One isn't an SDR (its not *software* defined!). Then you should upgrade to the Hack RF which is a true SDR and all the modulation and (almost) all the maths is handled by the host computer.

That is a very good description. Ty Xcellerator. Are there any books out there that teach more about SDR?

Hmm, as far as books go, it depends on how in depth you wan to get. I suggest getting your head around receivers first (because after that, transmitting becomes very simple). The people behind RTL-SDR published a book called "The Hobbyists Guide to RTL-SDR" which is excellent. It assumes no knowledge on behalf of the reader and will get you set up and receiving signals very quickly. Then there is also Richard Lyons' "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" textbook which is quite heavy on maths but cuts no corners whatsoever. Finally, Mike Ossmann has a series of videos out called "SDR with HackRF" which is a great introduction. You can find it on the Great Scott Gadgets website. They're quite slow to be put out, but in fairness, he's a busy guy. I think he's up to episode 10.

Hope all that helps!