SSDP Implementation help

newbi3

I am creating a little rover that is powered by the raspberry pi and controlled over the network. I'd like to make this more plug and play but I'm pretty confused trying to implement SSDP. Basically I just want the Raspberry pi to broadcast it self on the network and say "hey my restful API lives at x.x.x.x:8080" this way my android app can just find that broadcast and then connect to the robot without the user having to type in any ip address or port. Is there a service for linux that already does this? I've tried miniupnpd and minissdpd and they don't seem to be broadcasting anything...

I think I may just have a miss understanding of SSDP which is what is making this so hard to implement. Any knowledge on how it works and/or how to implement it would be amazing!

Couldn't you simply have a simple emitter program that spits out a UDP broadcast every second or so? See this for the broadcasting itself. Your app would listen for the broadcast and be able to read from there the source IP address and about 1500 bytes of additional data to work out what you need to know before deciding to connect to it.

Couldn't you simply have a simple emitter program that spits out a UDP broadcast every second or so? See this for the broadcasting itself. Your app would listen for the broadcast and be able to read from there the source IP address and about 1500 bytes of additional data to work out what you need to know before deciding to connect to it.

I was thinking about doing that but I just wanted to follow a standard that already existed instead of doing my own thing. Just broadcasting it its services would be a lot easier for sure considering I have no idea what I'm doing with SSDP.