Sup?

Sebkinne

Agreed Barry, a few of the negative posts do look like they are after a turnkey solution rather than a platform. Re the Linux support on the compute stick, you can order them from Amazon with Ubuntu pre installed.

Perhaps there could be a raspberry pi fork in the future at a higher price point (pineapple pro), there are starting to be some really nice looking compact battery + touch screen raspberry pi designs out there. Imagine this bad boy with dual antenna booting up to a touch screen interface designed by hak5 http://www.au.engadget.com/2015/11/25/this-rasberry-pi-handheld-wants-to-be-every-gadget-in-the-world/ after a hard days pentest, you could crank some handheld quake 3 on the way home....

Edited by Isolot

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't waste your money on the mark V nothing really works just download Kali 2.0 better off trust me is a waste of time and money with pineapple mark V even their video are garbage

Thats just like, your opinion, man. (Which is wrong)

But the videos have great production value... regardless of whether you like them or not :)

Agreed Barry, a few of the negative posts do look like they are after a turnkey solution rather than a platform. Re the Linux support on the compute stick, you can order them from Amazon with Ubuntu pre installed.

Perhaps there could be a raspberry pi fork in the future at a higher price point (pineapple pro), there are starting to be some really nice looking compact battery + touch screen raspberry pi designs out there. Imagine this bad boy with dual antenna booting up to a touch screen interface designed by hak5 http://www.au.engadget.com/2015/11/25/this-rasberry-pi-handheld-wants-to-be-every-gadget-in-the-world/ after a hard days pentest, you could crank some handheld quake 3 on the way home....

Yea, that's cool and all, but then you're getting out of the original purpose of the pineapple. It's supposed to be a fairly cheap box you can leave at a target location and if you never get it back, oh well.

Took me a bit of time, and yes, most of the things that the Mk V does are not that spectacular out of the box. But, it still is a very nice piece of hardware, and if you can script, you can do very nice things with it. Don't blame the tool if you are unskilled in using it. In the right hands....

A RPI is much cheaper than a MKV or a MKVI. You can run a full Kali if you want with MSF and all needed stuff. Leave it on a target place is also no problem. You have a lot more CPU power and many functions. So thats not that pro argument for a WiFI Pineapple. But we will see what Hak5 brings to us.

Raspberry Pi + Raspberry Pi Power + Powered Hub + 2 USB WiFi Cards + Pelican case at that rate + Custom scripts/Manual patching/configuration.

Buy the time you buy the RPi, plastic case, power supply, SD card, etc. You're over the price of a Pineapple at that rate.

Just checked on pricing for RPi 2 kit. About $75 (not including shipping) gets you a RPi, enclosure, 1 WiFi USB (not sure on injection support/monitor mode), RPi power, SD Card. Even adding 1 more USB WiFi puts it over the price of a current $100 Pineapple price for Mark V. And even then, it's running NOOBS with no scripts/hostapd/karma patches.

The Pineapple is custom hardware built for WiFi penetration testing all in one unit. That's what it was made for. Sure you can probably DIY something similar, but I wouldn't say it would be cheaper. Time = Money.

Raspberry Pi + Raspberry Pi Power + Powered Hub + 2 USB WiFi Cards + Pelican case at that rate + Custom scripts/Manual patching/configuration.

Buy the time you buy the RPi, plastic case, power supply, SD card, etc. You're over the price of a Pineapple at that rate.

Just checked on pricing for RPi 2 kit. About $75 (not including shipping) gets you a RPi, enclosure, 1 WiFi USB (not sure on injection support/monitor mode), RPi power, SD Card. Even adding 1 more USB WiFi puts it over the price of a current $100 Pineapple price for Mark V. And even then, it's running NOOBS with no scripts/hostapd/karma patches.

The Pineapple is custom hardware built for WiFi penetration testing all in one unit. That's what it was made for. Sure you can probably DIY something similar, but I wouldn't say it would be cheaper. Time = Money.

It would be say, more powerful with a massive feature jump, don't all the peripherals for the current pineapple go straight over to the rpi? I.e. Hak5 will offer them at the same price as they currently do for the pineapple? Even if the price is $25 difference the feature jump of having local msf is massive. Think Meterpreter shells in the pineapple web ui.

The discussion wasn't anti pineapple go do it yourself, pen testers already know hey can do it themselves. The discussion was if the pineapple changes platform rather than diy. The hak5 team still release an end to end wifi testing platform but it's base os and hardware are more powerful. They then have the whole rpi hardware community at their fingertips for upgrades, i.e. build a custom rpi pineapple with internal radios, touch screen and solar panel.

As for the noobs Kali version comment, kinda emplies the pineapple dev community is bigger than the Kali one. The tools get released to Kali and ported to the pineapple not the the other way around. The hak5 team just switch to writing future patches on Kali rather than open wrt. I would have thought the more powerful rpi would make the hak5 dev teams life easier rather than harder, time is money as you say and the platform change would address a lot of the negative comments I have read of late.

Edited by Isolot

As for the noobs Kali version comment, kinda emplies the pineapple dev community is bigger than the Kali one. The tools get released to Kali and ported to the pineapple not the the other way around. The hak5 team just switch to writing future patches on Kali rather than open wrt. I would have thought the more powerful rpi would make the hak5 dev teams life easier rather than harder, time is money as you say and the platform change would address a lot of the negative comments I have read of late.

There is so much wat in this quote... First off, NOOBS is not Kali, its the OS Installer for the Raspberry Pi. Also the tools are not written for Kali... they are just included with Kali. Some of the tools used on the pineapple are literally written for JUST the pineapple, like PineAP. Also making a linux image is harder than it is to maintain an OpenWRT image.

Edited by Foxtrot

QFE

Also making a linux image is harder than it is to maintain an OpenWRT image.

Edit: As a side note, I do intend to also run Linux on it...

Edited by cooper

Hi,

I know I'm new to the forum and I haven't contributed anything (yet), but I wanted to express my thoughts here anyways; even though I'm new, I have been following this Pineapple out of stock threads in a almost daily basis for almost 3 months now and I haven't seen any concrete response nor any real (reliable) updates, which is a shame.

I know there are a lot of active users, registered members and most likely, like me, anonymous viewers that are waiting for an update on the tool for some time now with no luck. Since the first time I arrived here I was willing to buy the Pineapple, which wasn't possible due to stock, so I contacted the support team in order to understand when it would be... and just like here, they gave me a date... end of October... and a waited,,and waited... with no luck.

Since then and from what I've seen in the forum, Hak5 moderators had been systematically building a lot of expectation but with no real commitment on following it up. Due to this, I ended up buying an overprice product on eBay, for which I don't regret since it's still a great piece of hardware and great source to learn, even though, as I later realized: most of it's best features don't work anymore... so I do not recommend it as it doesn't work for what is mostly advertised for.

Anyways, to make my point: this is still a commercial product, with (wanting o not) a brand behind it and because of this there's an inherent responsibility to their prospect or customer base.... but this doesn't seem to matter, since, for any value this product one time had now it completely lacks of any other promise, brand and (real) professionalism.

I'm very disappointed at how this is being handled and this make me lose faith on whatever come next.

I know adept followers might think that my comment is biased due to lack of patience, but let me say is not, I have been observing this whole show for 3 month's now... and just now, with a Mark V in had for 6 weeks now, I decided to post this.

This is post is merely due to false expectations.

Bye,

I have been here a while as a member I got a mkv before defcon last year

We all had to wait it's not Walmart it's a small hack shop things take time

We can't expect good stuff rushed out the door It needs to be tested retested a site remade all of the stuff that comes with a release don't blame the awesome team who have been working to bring new gear give them time

I am excited unfortionally this close to Xmas I will have to wait till Feb till I can afford a new pineapple

But instead of bitching why not show more support as a great community does

Great job Hak5 guys and gals can't wait to see what you did this time

Ps coupon code discount for long term members would be cool

Edited by m40295