How to transmit wifi over 500 ft (asap) **help**

54321BoB

I am moving into an small house in farm land. 500ft away is where the fiber stops and I am wondering how I could get Wi-Fi to be transmitted to my house. Talked to the neighbors and they are fine if I have a modem in there house. how would I be able to transmit wifi to my house? is there a better way ? budget is no more than 300 or soo . Can it be done ? If so a parts list would help a lot! Can i be able maybe to use a old router or buy a new one not to sure yet. Please help...

It'd be better to run cable and use a ethernet extender about halfway between (like this one http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-and-poe-devices/outreach-lite.aspx)it will cost a little more to get cable you can bury but that would be cheaper and more reliable than trying to extend a wireless that far through directional antennas and such. The cable route could be done with the $300 budget (including the extender bit)

Indeed, going with an actual wire tends to be cheaper, much more reliable and considerably faster. You'll need to put this device in a waterproof container and seal off the holes you make to get the cables to it, but maximum distance this way is 656ft (according to the spec) and PoE is a excellent way of powering something outdoors. The only drawback is that the cable needs to exit the house somehow and your neighbor might take issue with having a hole in his house to route a cable to you, or even the idea of having a cable run across his land to yours. In this case, an alternative would be to set up a PoE-powered WIFI extender like the D-Link DAP-2310. It's also powered with PoE and that works at a range of max 100m (328ft according to the spec) which is also the maximum length of a wired cable connection. Put it in a weatherproof box as close to your neighbor as you can get it and see if what you have already works. Distance being down to 175ft it should already provide at lease some connectivity. If you want to upgrade that connectivity, replace the antenna with an outdoor directional antenna. I'd go with a dish. Something like a TP-Link TL-ANT2424B (since the router only supports 2.4GHz, your dish should too).

100m of pre-made CAT6 (get 6, not 5) runs you about $80 so getting a wire to your neighbor means 2 of those, the extender thing bored369 mentioned is $130 but you can get a similar item for $40. You'll also need a PoE injector like this one which is about $30 so you're looking at about $250 for everything with shipping leaving $50 for a weatherproof box and sealant.

Going with wireless you'll need a wifi device in their house and one out in the sticks somewhere. So you'll need 1 100m run of cable ($80), that D-Link I mentioned ($75), a PoE injector again ($30), a weatherproof box again ($??) and some wifi device, preferably directional, to put in your neighbor's house. Given the prices of the other parts, you'll have a budget of about $100 for that. If they already have wifi you could just connect to their network like such and potentially save a bit. See how it works and if it's shit save up a bit for that outdoor directional antenna.

Edit: Seems you can go much more affordable on that CAT6. Try $30 for 100m.

Edited by cooper

Indeed, going with an actual wire tends to be cheaper, much more reliable and considerably faster. You'll need to put this device in a waterproof container and seal off the holes you make to get the cables to it, but maximum distance this way is 656ft (according to the spec) and PoE is a excellent way of powering something outdoors. The only drawback is that the cable needs to exit the house somehow and your neighbor might take issue with having a hole in his house to route a cable to you, or even the idea of having a cable run across his land to yours. In this case, an alternative would be to set up a PoE-powered WIFI extender like the D-Link DAP-2310. It's also powered with PoE and that works at a range of max 100m (328ft according to the spec) which is also the maximum length of a wired cable connection. Put it in a weatherproof box as close to your neighbor as you can get it and see if what you have already works. Distance being down to 175ft it should already provide at lease some connectivity. If you want to upgrade that connectivity, replace the antenna with an outdoor directional antenna. I'd go with a dish. Something like a TP-Link TL-ANT2424B (since the router only supports 2.4GHz, your dish should too).

100m of pre-made CAT6 (get 6, not 5) runs you about $80 so getting a wire to your neighbor means 2 of those, the extender thing bored369 mentioned is $130 but you can get a similar item for $40. You'll also need a PoE injector like this one which is about $30 so you're looking at about $250 for everything with shipping leaving $50 for a weatherproof box and sealant.

Going with wireless you'll need a wifi device in their house and one out in the sticks somewhere. So you'll need 1 100m run of cable ($80), that D-Link I mentioned ($75), a PoE injector again ($30), a weatherproof box again ($??) and some wifi device, preferably directional, to put in your neighbor's house. Given the prices of the other parts, you'll have a budget of about $100 for that. If they already have wifi you could just connect to their network like such and potentially save a bit. See how it works and if it's shit save up a bit for that outdoor directional antenna.

Edit: Seems you can go much more affordable on that CAT6. Try $30 for 100m.

I have been looking up local laws and i cant run ethernet cable because it has to cross a road. is it possible to transmit wifi with a directional antena and if so what type of plug does it have and if i would have it on a pole would i need to extend that cable and how would i be able to connect it to a router? would i need to flash my firmware and put open ddwrt on it to increase the power of the antennas to be able to transit that far. what router would be recommended for this. I would probably have a 60Mbps connection. The issue is that my neighbor has internet but no isp wants to put down cable for our house

I watching a lot of videos on wireless antennas. One of the interesting creations was a yagi cantenna. It seemed to have really nice signal strength.

I really surprises me there's not more implementations of line of sign communications. Something infared or lazer in a direct line. I'm not sure how a person would go about it but it sounds cool.

I have used old wireless routers purchased from a goodwill... install ddwrt and configure wireless repeaters...

if you find a router that supports ddwrt or openwrt that also includes a detachable antenna... im sure if you give this a try you will find its very affordable and effective.

I currently am using a setup in my attic space I spent maybe 100$ on...

Raspberry pi

Alfacard awuso36nha

Backfire dish antenna

I would suggest not using the pi, but find a device that has gig Ethernet speeds. My youtube channel has my experiments using this stuff trying to get the best long distance performance.

I have been looking up local laws and i cant run ethernet cable because it has to cross a road. is it possible to transmit wifi with a directional antena and if so what type of plug does it have and if i would have it on a pole would i need to extend that cable and how would i be able to connect it to a router? would i need to flash my firmware and put open ddwrt on it to increase the power of the antennas to be able to transit that far. what router would be recommended for this. I would probably have a 60Mbps connection. The issue is that my neighbor has internet but no isp wants to put down cable for our house

Well, I don't have that particular device so I can't say which type of connection you find when you unscrew the antenna - SMA or RP-SMA and you can get adapters from one to the other, but it's best to get it right the first time. What's the distance between your house and the road, and their house and the road, and also, would your neighbours mind having a cable running out of their home and some distance towards the road?

Basically, we need to clear a gap and indeed, wifi is going to make this happen. The thing is that we need to know how big the gap is.

There are a TON of ways to do it, but one thing we're probably not going to get away from is the fact you need to power a device some distance away from a power plug so PoE is really the way to go.

One potentially cheaper way to get it done is by going the Pi route. You get 2 cheap ARM computers (orange pi, raspberry pi, banana pi, PcDuino 3 Nano... basically something which doesn't take a lot of power, is powered by 5v and has a spare a USB port). You get 2 runs of cable to get from each house to somewhere near the road. Each likely needs either a USB stick or a small microSD card to boot from. You get 2 of these which will provide power to the network cable on one end and extract it again on the other. Plug the network cable in the ARM board and use a USB plug to power the ARM board (the Orange Pi comes with a USB to barrel plug in the box). Each will need a weatherproof box with 1 network cable feeding into it. Now, attach a nice USB network adapter to the ARM board. Something like the TP-Link TL-WN722N - not expensive and with a replaceable antenna just in case. Install both as close to the road as you can, set up one as AP, the other as client. Chances are you won't need a directional antenna because the distance is so vastly reduced.

The cost involved here is once again 2 long network cables totalling $60, 2 Orange Pi's runs at $30 (yeah, they're that cheap), 2 TL-WN722Ns is another $30 and 2 PoE injectors is $45. Totalling it I come to $165 without the SD cards (4GB and slow will suffice, but these are decent 16GB ones which for 2 comes at $12) or the weatherproof boxes (no idea what these run at, but wait for the kit to arrive so you know what size to get.

And that's why we love you, Barry. :smile:

They are on my wish list for the house to barn wifi link. Currently I'm using a pineapple mk3 flashed back to the alfa firmware with a big ass panel antenna in the barn for a link. I'm all for making your own, but at this price for a known good implimentation, it's kind of a no-brainer.