404 error when running apt-get update on kali 1.1.0

hairbag

like the title says

all of a sudden few days ago started to get the 404 error. tried clean install, tried adding mirrors.

been running for a few years without issues like this and now cant update, upgrade. if i install anything the entire install borks and get the "oh oh something went wrong" screen of death

W: Failed to fetch http://security.kali.org/kali-security/dists/kali/updates/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

is there a new path structure for the repos that the psychic developors have neglected to tell the rest of the non psychic world about???? is there a link or post on it that i cant find?

tried the non working fixes i could find on the kali forum and nothing is working.

are we being forced into kali 2???? cuz after a few days of fighting/toying with kali2 i would rather slit my wrists with my keyboard and gouge out my eyes with a mouse than to have to deal with that incomplete, broken, freezing and buggy crap!. :(

I initially liked the Kali 2.0 interface with GNOME 3, but the fact it works like Apple's app launcher and I haven't find a way to easily see what programs are running is annoying. I run it in a VM and the side bar is a pain at times to get to show up.

An actual HDD install on my laptop has video issues galore. Made for some interesting artifacts that never seem to go away. VM may be the best fit for me.

See if this helps your install needs: http://docs.kali.org/general-use/kali-linux-sources-list-repositories

personally i cant stand the stock kali 2 interface, the swipe log in screen on a non touch screen laptop, that gigantic bottom annoyance bar and non stop pop up annoyifications, the silly hot spot corner, buggy task bar doesnt auto hide or appear properly even with an auto hide fix.

then theres the random freezing

hate the way the main menu is locked up and organized into someones idea of good which really sucks moose balls! its buggy to scroll and navigate and i think it should have the option to be a little more discreet instead of in your face with everyhting non-pentest tucked away. i actually use my laptop for alot more things than pentesting.

for the life of me i cant create desktop or shortcut icons which is a huge WTF??? tried every combination of left/right click, key press , drag and drop i can imagine?

did i mention the random freezing?

having to manually add things like the context menu function to create a empty document is absoultely IDIOTIC!!!!

and whats up with that fucking rediculous volume control????????? are we cursed to walk the earth with that little bit of stupidity for eternity???? i know there are fixes but there shouldnt have to be for retarded things like that. there should be a "go fund me" account to have the rocket scientist responsible for it whacked!

not liking the random freezing much.

its 10 steps forward in the actual tools and functionality and 25 steps back with that crap interface and all the bugs i have personally found. its kinda like a mac android abortion with a sprinkle of windblows vista. the stock interface is more of an interferance than an enhancement or improvement!

kali 2 jsut doesnt appear to be a viable option for me as its orphans itself to death...by the time i get half teh bugs worked out and try to install a new desktop envirometn its ready to wipe and start over. after a while of running and freezing randomly for so long it just freezes up solid forcing me to hard reset which orphans dozens and dozens of files each time. after a dozen or so reboots its oh oh soemthing went wrong!!!

i have fully udated,tweaked and patched clonezilla images from kali 1 for when i bork stuff but not liking the no future updates and 404 messages, im kinda anal about eror messages and things not working correctly. i was hoping to wait for the magic"service pack 3" release before going kali 2. :(

Edited by hairbag

I think they changed the link, try changing http://security.kali.org/kali-security/dists/kali/updates/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages to

http://security.kali.org/kali-security/dists/kali-current/updates/main/binary-amd64/

personally i cant stand the stock kali 2 interface, the swipe log in screen on a non touch screen laptop, that gigantic bottom annoyance bar and non stop pop up annoyifications, the silly hot spot corner, buggy task bar doesnt auto hide or appear properly even with an auto hide fix.

then theres the random freezing

hate the way the main menu is locked up and organized into someones idea of good which really sucks moose balls! its buggy to scroll and navigate and i think it should have the option to be a little more discreet instead of in your face with everyhting non-pentest tucked away. i actually use my laptop for alot more things than pentesting.

for the life of me i cant create desktop or shortcut icons which is a huge WTF??? tried every combination of left/right click, key press , drag and drop i can imagine?

did i mention the random freezing?

having to manually add things like the context menu function to create a empty document is absoultely IDIOTIC!!!!

and whats up with that fucking rediculous volume control????????? are we cursed to walk the earth with that little bit of stupidity for eternity???? i know there are fixes but there shouldnt have to be for retarded things like that. there should be a "go fund me" account to have the rocket scientist responsible for it whacked!

not liking the random freezing much.

its 10 steps forward in the actual tools and functionality and 25 steps back with that crap interface and all the bugs i have personally found. its kinda like a mac android abortion with a sprinkle of windblows vista. the stock interface is more of an interferance than an enhancement or improvement!

kali 2 jsut doesnt appear to be a viable option for me as its orphans itself to death...by the time i get half teh bugs worked out and try to install a new desktop envirometn its ready to wipe and start over. after a while of running and freezing randomly for so long it just freezes up solid forcing me to hard reset which orphans dozens and dozens of files each time. after a dozen or so reboots its oh oh soemthing went wrong!!!

i have fully udated,tweaked and patched clonezilla images from kali 1 for when i bork stuff but not liking the no future updates and 404 messages, im kinda anal about eror messages and things not working correctly. i was hoping to wait for the magic"service pack 3" release before going kali 2. :(

I'm not a pentester at all, so most of the stuff I almost never use, but I really like the dmcrypt nuke patches. I'm also a network engineer, so a lot of the other stuff I do use. Like I said, installing gnome-fallback fixes most of your issues, the random freezing thing is probably a driver issue, must be an older video card. I get no freeze ups. It's still gnome3, so you have to do a few tweeks to get desktop icons to actually show up, by default they're hidden, for some dumb ass reason. The thing that I don't like the most is trying to get 32bit software to work. Huge pain in the ass.
Edited by barry99705

With kali 2.0, the bar, notifications, and anything for the interface, is all customizable. As for kali 1.x branch, it's being retired, and no longer supported, so you will want to either move to 2.0, or stay where you are and manually maintain your own copy of kali 1.x branch and tools. Personally, I'd move to 2.0, get familiar with changing it how you want, and move on.

​kali 1.0 EOL - https://www.kali.org/news/kali-moto-eol/

laptop is less than two years old and runs everything but kali 2 perfectly,

given the choice between my old ugly yet running perfectly car and a brand new shiny car thats broken down off the lot from the dealer, needs a new engine, body work and all sorts of tweaking and repairs to get on he road i'll choose teh old reliable car every time.

may have to test out one of the other pentesting distro's

https://www.concise-courses.com/security/top-ten-distros/

I think I had this same problem, 404 error... I think Its a dns issue... change your etc/hosts file to use google dns

Then try apt-get update

Since people missed my post, I'll leave this here. You can change your settings, to point to the archives for the 1.0 branches, but 1.0 is at end of life, and no longer going to be maintained. You can install tools manually and update as you wish, compile changes at your own risk for the kernel and such, but 2.0 is the way to go, with rolling updates, it will be updated more often and on the fly all the time.

Kali Sana Release AftermathKali Linux 2.0 has been out for a couple of months and the response has been great, with well over a million unique downloads of Kali 2.0 as a testament.

Release day was somewhat hectic for us, as we did not anticipate the sheer volume of traffic … which we somehow always underestimate. In the first few days after the release of 2.0,

we had ten times the download volume of 1.0 in a similar period, back in 2013.Kali Moto Repository PurgeWe’ve given Kali Moto (1.0) a good two months of grace time and will be purging the

unsupported 1.0 distribution files from our repositories in the next few days. If you’re still using Kali 1.0 then it’s definitely time to either upgrade or update.

cat << EOF > /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://http.kali.org/kalisana main non-free contrib

deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security/sana/updates main contrib non-free

EOF

apt-get update

apt-get dist-upgrade # get a coffee, or 10.

reboot

If for some reason you can’t upgrade, we’ve set aside an archive mirror of Kali 1.0, which can be set as follows:

cat << EOF > /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://old.kali.org/kalimoto main non-free contrib

EOF

Please note, this repository will not be maintained or updated.

Edited by digip