Rooting android devices?

vailixi

I got a smoking deal on this LG VK700 Tablet. I'm pretty happy with the device but I'd like to have a root terminal. It's a Linux device and Linux without root feels kinda wierd.

Any of you guys rooted one of these things? The carrier is Verizon if that makes a difference.

I've looked up instructions on rooting an Android device. But there are a lot of warnings about bricking the device. I'm not totally sure how the whole thing works.

I have a micro SD and SD reader along with a Linux machine with MTP installed. Is this going to work or do I need additional hardware?

I don't think you have much need for a root terminal to be completely honest. Seriously, what do you want to do on the device that requires root access? And keep in mind that Android makes a point of not letting information related to program A go outside the scope of program A. So chances are root won't be able to do much of anything. It's like something I'm working on at work right now. There's an admin login, but the admin can only twiddle the settings. He cannot get the system to give him access to patient data because admin privs simply don't go there (and, for obvious reasons in this scenario, that's a good thing).

Maybe the first thing you should do to kinda get your feet wet is to turn on Developer mode. See if that gives you enough of that "worship me, I am your god" feeling.

Root would allow you to run a full system ad blocker. Which I'm really missing now on my note 5. It also allows you to bypass the carrier blocks to tether devices to your phone's 4g. Also allows you to delete the shit ware that comes as part of the system image.

You could, but the point I'm making is that while you could call it a Linux device it's actually not so much like your typical Linux installs. They don't call it Android OS for the warm, fuzzy feeling.

I got a smoking deal on this LG VK700 Tablet. I'm pretty happy with the device but I'd like to have a root terminal. It's a Linux device and Linux without root feels kinda wierd.

Any of you guys rooted one of these things? The carrier is Verizon if that makes a difference.

I've looked up instructions on rooting an Android device. But there are a lot of warnings about bricking the device. I'm not totally sure how the whole thing works.

I have a micro SD and SD reader along with a Linux machine with MTP installed. Is this going to work or do I need additional hardware?

I've rooted every single android device I've ever owned, (And I've had a few) I've never bricked a single one, as long as you as long as you read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter you should be fine. the key is to do plenty of research on it first. for instance, does your device have a locked boot loader? if so, you'll need to unlock it first. etc

You're best off heading over to the xda developers forums and seeking out your device on there.

I've rooted every single android device I've ever owned, (And I've had a few) I've never bricked a single one, as long as you as long as you read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter you should be fine. the key is to do plenty of research on it first. for instance, does your device have a locked boot loader? if so, you'll need to unlock it first. etc

You're best off heading over to the xda developers forums and seeking out your device on there.

Cool. I will check that out.

They don't call it Android OS for the warm, fuzzy feeling.

I couldn't have said it better.