Junk food adverterts banned in the UK

Sparda

Gotta love this story:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6154600.stm

Essentially junk food advertisements aimed at people under the age of 16 are now banned in the UK. You would never see the FCC do this, ever. I particularly enjoyed reading the poll results on the BBC's web site (at time of post):

Should junk food advertisements be banned?

Yes, entirely: 46.15% (I voted for this one)

Yes, before 9pm watershed: 17.73%

Only on children's TV: 16.11%

No: 20.01%

Yeah, I agree with it. And I'd go further to. No adverts at all, directed at kids. I think some European country's have this already and I think its an excellent idea. Businesses will whine, but isn't it time we put people before profits?

Yeah, I agree with it. And I'd go further to. No adverts at all, directed at kids. I think some European country's have this already and I think its an excellent idea. Businesses will whine, but isn't it time we put people before profits?

yes but it'll never happen ...

the corepolitical world is to strong ,

if they cared about ppl cigarets would b banned

(infact the only reason they are still legal and sold in belgium is cos the government makes huge profits on it (a pack here costs +/- €4.5 of wich +/- €3 are taxes and goes to the so called tresure chest o and those taxes on ciggarets wil be raised by €0.50 next year :P so a pack will be €5 minimum)

I would prefer a law that made public displays of idiocy illegal, so no one could blame junk food for making them fat. It's not good for you but if you would move enough to burn of the energy instead of watching ads on the TV there wouldn't be a problem.

You are right VaKo, here in pinko Sweden you can't advertise anything to kids under a certain age in regular media. Some get around it by broadcasting from outside the borders but it still kinda works.

hmmm I'm not so keen on censorship, regardless of how much it seams to be a good idea.

banning things because its the anti-flavour of the month is wrong on so many levels.

yeah kids are getting fat, but you cant blame it on the food they eat, the simple fact is kids dont go outside and play... how about counter ad's.

hide and seek.....it's fannnnnnnnnnntastic.

climbing trees, lots of fun and it'll cost you nothing.

mind you they'd probably get banned too, i mean kids could fall out of trees and hurt them self. if they hide and separate that just makes them easier prey for that vast army of paedophiles.

Actually, it's been predicted that channels like Cartoon Network and the like will lose up to 40% of there revenue from this ban. While ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 (non-subscription services that do not target kids) will lose less then 1% of there revenue from this ban.

hmmm I'm not so keen on censorship, regardless of how much it seams to be a good idea.

banning things because its the anti-flavour of the month is wrong on so many levels.

yeah kids are getting fat, but you cant blame it on the food they eat, the simple fact is kids dont go outside and play... how about counter ad's.

hide and seek.....it's fannnnnnnnnnntastic.

climbing trees, lots of fun and it'll cost you nothing.

mind you they'd probably get banned too, i mean kids could fall out of trees and hurt them self. if they hide and separate that just makes them easier prey for that vast army of paedophiles.

Me too, damn I hate all this bubble wrapping of everything(people should just be able to use their common sence), Im not so keen on censorship either. But if there were no adverts on TV it would one problem solved. Also if people stopped watching TV that would be lots of problems solved.

mind you this ban is only on child targeted junk food ads , in the U.S some of the rules for junk food advers just changed as well but only add targeted to kids under 12.

I'm not a big fan of censership but junk food has goten realy out of hand and parents nead to step up and get their kids to eat right.