OSCP Advance

Ravenrx7

Hey guys,

A few months ago, I decided to branch my IT career off into the world of IT security and made a decision to start with the CEH course which included the CPT certification as a bonus. I found the CEH course material to be interesting but even more interesting was the hands on labs for the CPT cert. The CPT practical exam was a little challenging since my experience with Linux OS is limited and i realized if this is the route I'm taking, I need to up my game in Linux. Although the CEH material overall entertaining, the exam was disappointing. Neverless, I passed both.

I've made a commitment and ordered some books to learn bash, python and some advanced Linux commands for my upcoming quest, the OSCP.

My question is, have any of you taken this practical exam and what's your feedback on it? I've seen some job posting acknowledge it, so don't mention it, so trying to feel it out. I've heard is 30 days of lecture and then a 24 hr windows to compromise the network, sounds fun!

Thanks for the feedback

Hey guys,

A few months ago, I decided to branch my IT career off into the world of IT security and made a decision to start with the CEH course which included the CPT certification as a bonus. I found the CEH course material to be interesting but even more interesting was the hands on labs for the CPT cert. The CPT practical exam was a little challenging since my experience with Linux OS is limited and i realized if this is the route I'm taking, I need to up my game in Linux. Although the CEH material overall entertaining, the exam was disappointing. Neverless, I passed both.

I've made a commitment and ordered some books to learn bash, python and some advanced Linux commands for my upcoming quest, the OSCP.

My question is, have any of you taken this practical exam and what's your feedback on it? I've seen some job posting acknowledge it, so don't mention it, so trying to feel it out. I've heard is 30 days of lecture and then a 24 hr windows to compromise the network, sounds fun!

Thanks for the feedback

you get an intial 30 days of lab access, so you need to be ready to devote yourself to the course. Use all the time you can, don't jump the gun to the exam without doing everything you possibly can during the video and lab section, which is 100% hands on. The final exam, once you register, expires within 24 hours, which many have said they needed the full time. I never took the test but started through the videos, but never finished them. i need to revisit though, I just don't have the time. it;s something you need to be a bit OCD with and I had too many things going on at home when I first started it, so keep distractions to a minimum, but don't burn out either. make sure you break and rest between sections and don't try to go through it in one day as many will find themselves looking at their screen for the entire day, you'll crash and burn if you do. One thing I can tell you that you will want to know is your shell and all manner of linux command line verbosity. You'll spend a lot of your time in a terminal so be comfortable with the OS from a command line. i know people that have taken the exam and even people that have passed and worked in the field will tell you, the OSCP is intense.

on the job front a lot more jobs are seeking people with the OSCP, OSCE and OSEE designations. Any job that asks for penetration testing experience will want OSCP certified people.

edit: (I should probably put a disclaimer and be clear, I work for Offensive Security, but that has nothing to do with my opinion of the course)

Edited by digip

If you want to learn up on linux beforehand, checkout the following resources. I've found them both to be very helpful

https://github.com/jlevy/the-art-of-command-line

http://cb.vu/unixtoolbox.xhtml

Good luck!

telot

This is great feedback I really appreciate it. My books are in, I also bought an online tutorial on bash so watching that as well.

I feel like the CPT kind of prepped me for this in way. I spent about 2 months watching labs and then replicating. If you see my post on the site, its not me hacking anymore, its me testing my labs on my company network. I was also told to elect the 90 days to take the exam, not to rush, I just hope my lack in lnux cmds doesnt hold me back

This is great feedback I really appreciate it. My books are in, I also bought an online tutorial on bash so watching that as well.

I feel like the CPT kind of prepped me for this in way. I spent about 2 months watching labs and then replicating. If you see my post on the site, its not me hacking anymore, its me testing my labs on my company network. I was also told to elect the 90 days to take the exam, not to rush, I just hope my lack in lnux cmds doesnt hold me back

The videos will walk you through everything, so as long as you are comfortable in the terminal, you should be fine. it's all hands on so you can pause a video, go play in the VM for a bit and try out what you're learning, then come back to the video, etc. key being hands on, so you learn as you do it on the go, but retaining that muscle memory of commands will be what you need come exam time.

• 3 months later...