Proxy Preference

Ravenrx7

Don't care for web proxies other than using SSH Tunnel and SOCKS for browser tunneling. Internet Proxies are usually put up for free, so they can scan what you do, so you get what you pay for, as in, no security. if you want an anonymizer, use TOR, but just know that it's not 100% secure and can still be sniffed form the exit nodes. This is true for any hop your traffic goes across that you don't own, but depending on what you are trying to do, TOR works ok for general surfing. If country restrictions are things you want to get around, a VPN service comes in handy. I'd still stay away from proxies since they can redirect, modify, inject or censor whatever you're trying to reach along with sniff everything.

I use squid as a local caching proxy but that'll probably get kicked out once I get my fiber connection (which they're apparently in no hurry to provide just yet).

I use squid as a local caching proxy but that'll probably get kicked out once I get my fiber connection (which they're apparently in no hurry to provide just yet).

You know, I wasn't even thinking local or corporate cache, and was only thinking like subverting filters and such. I forget that people sometimes use them for speeding up local downloads and blocking bad sites. Yeah, squid is like the defacto standard for company proxies. Good call.

The best way to be really anonymous online is to go to a coffee shop in another state. While you're there, buy offshore VPS hosting with some form of cryptocurrency. Don't use your regular email or give any personals about yourself on the account. Then set up your VPN or proxy servers on that.

Or make friends with someone in Serbia and send them a free computer with the agreement you can use it for a proxy.

Right now I don't have the network speeds to really want to use a proxy.

Edited by vailixi

Or make friends with someone in Serbia and send them a free computer with the agreement you can use it for a proxy.

I actually did that back in the day with someone I knew who was researching his doctorate at a technical university. At the time he said it was actually very common for there to be more machines on the network than what was officially accounted for because the staff didn't really bother to keep track of things since the researchers would themselves be responsible for what happens in the various labs and nobody wants to unplug someone else's project server. Cool thing was also that technical uni's were renowned for having truly kick-ass internet. These were the ISDN days of lore, so getting 100MBit straight into the internet backbone was practically unheard of. I assembled a machine from spare parts, he chucked it under a table there and for the next 4 or so years I had my own little server to play with. It ran an FTP server and an IRC bot I wrote that would restrict access to the FTP to only those in the IRC channel.

Could've set it up as a proxy server of sorts, but never really bothered. The only win here would be that it would hide my IP and I wasn't really bothered by that since all my file sharing went straight to that box and I knew for a fact it wasn't keeping logs of any kind. The restricted FTP would keep it safe from most unwanted prying eyes. Of course, this was over 20 years ago....

Edited by Cooper