Kali 2.0

Ravenrx7

I've on my 3rd reinstall on Kali on my laptop, and all im getting is a flashing prompt. GRUB not accessible?

I realise this could be due to a number of things but it sounds like what happened when I first tried to install Kali 1.1.0 on my laptop. I know it supports EFI boot but whatever I tried I could not get it running with my boot mode set to UEFI. If that is the case with you try setting the boot mode in your BIOS to "legacy". I have a Sony Vaio.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got Kali installed on my personal laptop. Now I just need to figure out why the damn fan is trying to make the laptop hover.

Weird it's running fine on mine, even got rid of my Win7 partition on it and turned it into a dedicated Kali laptop now, the fun part is setting up my ssh and vnc stuff like I used to have it since the dist-upgrade fucked that heh.

Glad it at least has pixiewps and the reaver fork needed included now, gonna see if I can get the AutoPixieWPS python script working again as it hasn't been kept up to date with the reaver fork, but managed by messing with a few lines to make it work right.

The joys of getting a new Kali install setup heh.

That and NetHunter and reinstalling all my apps and widgets not included in that has taken up some time.

Edited by deadlyhabit

I got an install working using speech synthesis option on boot, which ended up being graphical. I was prompted that the "cd rom" could not be found. 1 lad suggested removing the usb and reinserting which did the trick for me :) On a lenovo t430s I got a missing driver issue for the wifi however it seems it is working. I need to learn how to check tho to install any missing files perhaps, But I do have an Alpha available to me.

It took 3-4 hrs to download via torrent on Wednesday ! So far so good tho, I think I may actually like gnome3 for now. I did getter odd behaviour when running wifite tho. The mousepad still worked but I could not longer right or left click after ending the session with ctrl-c ..

No other issues to report on as yet.

gdm3

cat /etc/XLL/default-display-manager

There is a thread here on changing them, but I think is more gearged for 1.x branches:

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?17716-How-to-install-remove-different-Desktop-Window-Manager-in-Kali-Linux-1-x

Try here:

http://docs.kali.org/development/customize-the-kali-desktop-environment

I should probably ask Mati to update this for 2.0 documentation to make sure it's current.

Edited by digip

Thanks dude!

You're welcome. Just asked Mati. They have multiple desktop managers, but the docs site needs updating for 2.0 methods.

Edited by digip

I had an issue with running armitage on the first go. I fixed it pretty easily. In fact so easily I thought it was just something I might have done.

usually it was:

service postgresql start
service metasploit start
armitage

Butwhen I went to run armitage I got some errors. So I ran:

msfdb init
 msfconsole
 msfupdate

Then I tried again and armitage worked fine. I have no idea what happened or why but I hope that helps anyone having that kind of issue. I'm not sure the commands or the order I ran them.

I downloaded Kali via torrent and the network speed was great considering my location. I noticed flash and all of the audio stuff that is notiorous for being buggy on Debian works right out of the box and that is a bonus because watching a tutorial or listening to music improves my overall computing experience.

I'm going to see how well veil-evasion is supported on 2.0.

Update: veil-evasion installs fine

Update: I also noticed my ALFA usb wifi dongle is now fully supported. I mean I can actually run it like a regular wifi card with:

ifconfig wlan0 down
macchanger -r wlan0
ifconfig wlan0 up

I had some issues with downing the interface before where it would throw a lot of flags and pretty much just not work. So I could only change the device's MAC by preup. So once the networking came online the first time the MAC could not be changed again. This is

About to hack this old Netgear and test out pixie WPS.

Edited by vailixi

Armitage was not working with the latest Metasploit Framework package when 2.0 dropped. There was an issue with Metasploit and Armitage themselves, that had nothing to do with Kali. Raphael Mudge pushed an update to Armitage to fix the issue, and i tis fixed now. All that is needed is an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade to get the patch. This effected users of other Linux distros as well, not just Kali, but should be fixed for all now.

Also, Metasploit is not set to run as a service any longer, hence the new instructions on startup, and only the free Metasploti Framework is now included. If you want Metasploit Pro, you have to register and install directly from Rapid 7 now due to the license agreement.

I'm having issues on the Kali provided VM image along with the clean install i did mae in VM. Armtiage will not load on either and Ive ran the above get-apt cmds. Anyone else having this issue?

They've got it marked as resolved now - https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=2494 and they tweeted the other day it's been updated and patched, but the download needs to be updated. Try the update again, do an apt-get update, and an apt-get upgrade along with distr-upgrade, although the latter shouldn't be needed.

Edit: by the way, if you never updated adn started msf fo rthe first time, it may still fail if you didn't setup the database, etc

Armitage is workign for me. I needed to start postgres and it was find after that.

Edited by digip

I ran the above commands, everything is update to date but when I try to armtiage, I receive the error java,lang.runtime.exception

connection refused

Also Is the response time of the OS slow for anyone else? I have two different laptops both fresh installs and the lag time is pretty noticeable.

I think it may be seemingly slower on older laptops due to gdm3 being a bit more resource intensive, I also saw on the official Kali forums some people noticing some background services running that could be causing issues.

Will try to dig that up, but like most new OS releases, it's going to take a bit to iron out all the bugs and issues.

in a VM I made mine single processor, 4 cores, with 2GB ram, and 20GB HDD with allocating space first. Native shoudl be even faster than a VM, but my machine is really beefy. All works for me. First thing is update, then start msfconsole for the first time to setup metasploit database and such, exit, then make sure postgres is still up, and then try armitage.

/etc/init.d/postgres start

In the newer version of armitage, it walks you though what it needs if it's down(if up to date) with a pop-up explaining what to do if on kali 1.x or 2.0

In the newer version of armitage, it walks you though what it needs if it's down(if up to date) with a pop-up explaining what to do if on kali 1.x or 2.0

Totally. The fix was pretty intuitive.

This thread has been a great read! Thanks to you all for being my early adopting guinea pigs. With all of these bugs and issues, do you guys see any reason to upgrade? I tried searching, but can't seem to find any "tent pole" features that warrant me suffering through all these problems. Old Kali is chugging along just fine. Thanks in advance,

telot

This thread has been a great read! Thanks to you all for being my early adopting guinea pigs. With all of these bugs and issues, do you guys see any reason to upgrade? I tried searching, but can't seem to find any "tent pole" features that warrant me suffering through all these problems. Old Kali is chugging along just fine. Thanks in advance,

telot

Thing is, there hasn't really been any bugs or issues, at least for me. Armitage not working was the authors need to update Armitage to work with new Metasploit changes, not a kali issue. Other than that, what is it you see as a reason not to upgrade?