Considering the Mark V, need a simple way to sniff for MAC addresses, header, signal strength

kmuzumdar

I'm fairly new to the whole wifi sniffing scene, but I think I want the Mark V since it seems like there's a good community and intuitive interface. I've done a little with OpenWRT stuff with some routers but it hasn't done it for me.

I'm looking to buy the Mark V and configure it to do the following:

1. I go to some public location
  2. I turn it on (+ maybe some small steps necessary to start the process)
  3. Starts displaying MAC addresses, signal strengths, and headers, of people's devices nearby with a timestamp
  4. Outputs to a log file preferably, or something I can save at some point

I don't want to buy the Mark V and have to do a whole lot of my own coding since this project has a bit of a time crunch. Can anyone post some tutorials maybe, or any advice as to how to accomplish my goal with minimal sophistication? I have programming experience and all, but obviously the easier the better.

Thank you

Uhhh! the MK5 is supposed to kinda do some of the things you are trying to do the MK5 has or will have a feature that will show devices mac address under the network its connected to and also mac address of devices that are just floating around not connected to anything.

I possibly shouldn't have replied to your thread because i don't know a whole lot about the MK5 hopefully some other people can help you with the information you're looking for.

I myself am not aware of how to do a few of the things you want to gain such as the headers of the devices or the signal the device is getting to the AP but you can capture the mac address of devices with ease the rest i have no knowledge of but would be interested in hearing how it could be done as well.

Thank you! I appreciate it and have already gone ahead and ordered the Mark V. I'm hoping it can accomplish the other aspects as well. Also, I saw an article about getting Facebook passwords with this as well. I don't want to do that, but instead I was wondering if there was a way to get the Facebook/ Instagram/ Twitter usernames of nearby devices as well? If anyone knows anything about how to implement that sort of functionality I would appreciate it as well. Thank you.

So what could I write for the dip switch to start kismet?

I'm honestly not sure if kismet is installed on the pineapple but if it is you should be able to maybe go to the Boot Modes and type in one of the boot mode boxes something like the kismet command you wanna run but im not really sure how you can see kismet running normally the dip switches i've seen just do something like auto starting the wlan1 into monitor mode something of that nature.

I hate being someone that i hate when i ask questions but maybe you can check https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/30670-what-are-you-using-your-dip-switches-for/ and get some idea's till someone else with better understanding then me can help you.

Edited by ZaraByte

I'm fairly new to the whole wifi sniffing scene, but I think I want the Mark V since it seems like there's a good community and intuitive interface. I've done a little with OpenWRT stuff with some routers but it hasn't done it for me.

I'm looking to buy the Mark V and configure it to do the following:

1. I go to some public location
  2. I turn it on (+ maybe some small steps necessary to start the process)
  3. Starts displaying MAC addresses, signal strengths, and headers, of people's devices nearby with a timestamp
  4. Outputs to a log file preferably, or something I can save at some point

I don't want to buy the Mark V and have to do a whole lot of my own coding since this project has a bit of a time crunch. Can anyone post some tutorials maybe, or any advice as to how to accomplish my goal with minimal sophistication? I have programming experience and all, but obviously the easier the better.

Thank you

1. First, set it up to run airodump-ng and write to file. I use the following for my dip switch customisation script (if you look at the pineapple dip switch page, funny enough the example config used there is exactly what you want to do - I use -

airmon-ng start wlan0 ; airodump-ng -w (SD Card storage which should be /sd/)[yourlognamehere] mon0

2. Now, the box will start airodump-ng every reboot / boot. NB the second adapter(wlan1) needs to be off for channel hopping to work, otherwise wlan0 will just scan the same channel as wlan1. I've been running this, sometimes using tmux installed from opkg manager to maintain a shell long term when I want to SSH back in later and access the airodump-ng live display. Best up time so far has been 23 hrs and counting

3. Airodump gives you all this info, formatted three ways, as well as packet capture if run with no options other than -w (You can use the packet capture for WPA cracking attempts offline) . With no options, it is set to pick up and log every wifi beacon, so you capture all the wifi clients and all the access points.

4. With the config in 1 above, the logs keep rolling with incremental numbers appended to the log file(.01,02,etc), so your logs are preserved well across multiple reboots. The only issue I have now is that I need a way to check if it hung and reboot, without logging back in.

Thats it. I use the scp command to get the logs and caps off the pine for analysis, although cat, grep and awk work brilliantly on the pineapple itself.

• 3 weeks later...