Video card help?

anarchtic

Make sure you have the right chipset and graphics drivers.

Really though, I agree with VaKo, if it can't actually do better than 16-bit colour then it's not much of a machine... still usable, no doubt, but not nice for playing games/image editing/watching videos...

One bit of creative input before I go, have you thought about changing the screen res down? I think, and this was a long long time ago, that some cards limited your color space at higher resolutions. This was when 3DFX roamed the planet though, and PowerVR was still cool.

One bit of creative input before I go, have you thought about changing the screen res down? I think, and this was a long long time ago, that some cards limited your color space at higher resolutions. This was when 3DFX roamed the planet though, and PowerVR was still cool.

the sad part is i remember those times.

If you're not a gamer (like me) that stuff is usually excellent value for money.

For $30 I can get a mobo with on-board video. The cheapest separate vid card I can find is $20. Try finding a somewhat current mobo for $10...

I have an old ATI all in wonder i like it mainly because I don't own a TV so i watch all my DVD's and tv shows with the hlep of a paperclip on my box. the funny thing is i can get a secound one for $30 now , when I got it tho it was top of the line . Oh the thigs geek do for toys...

Simple Answer: Its shit

Complex Answer: Are you living in the 90's?

great post but again like some one has posted try updating you drivers else you will just have to live with it again another reason not to buy commercially made computer as that upgrading ability is low and the part they tend to ship are craptacular. next time you buy a pc make it your self or customize it for upgradabilty

Could you tone down the flamebait please?

Is there actually a real need for PCIe yet? I mean, no doubt it's faster, but are cards and games already that far along that they require that extra transfer speed? I was under the impression that the switch over was more a way of future-proofing the machine rather than fixing a technical problem that was beginning to bite developers in the ass. Kinda like SATA if you will... Yeah, you can do 300 mbit or whatever speed SATA-II is but the harddisk still maxes out at pulling 70 megs off the platters... (yes, SATA has other benefits. I know all about that too)

HAHAH this n00b today tried to tell me that AGP is better than PciE x16

like N00000000B! no wonder like, he uses amd >.>

that a lol and a half like really agp is becoming a dated technology and most manufacturers are making that cards from them obsolete as all the new ones are just being made for pci-express

btw AMD's are good processors especially if you intend to overclock as they are easy to overclock and the clock speed/multiplier is not locked whilst Intel's processors are but beside overclocking all processors are the same

yes true AMD's are easier to over clock, but if you have an intel, since there better price/performace, you can buy a fast one for cheap(ish) and not need to break the warenty by OCing

But AMD's don't catch fire, I have seen p2 start to melt doing basic things on a PC , and damm the smell is bad when silicon melts in to plastic.

my personal tak on AMD is thay work better and harder and take punishment alot better then Intell chips, thay also can tolorate heat better.

*cough* P2 ... theres many technical advancements .. for eg theres a video on google video and it shows what happes if you remove the heatsink on both a P4 and a Althon 64 .. ..

the Althon 64 burns and explodes and shit .. the P4 crashes but survives and is useable ....

But AMD's don't catch fire, I have seen p2 start to melt doing basic things on a PC , and damm the smell is bad when silicon melts in to plastic.

my personal tak on AMD is thay work better and harder and take punishment alot better then Intell chips, thay also can tolorate heat better.

Tell that to the AMD chips I have that died from heat running at stock...

Ok so everyone has had difrent experiences, some of us like intell some of us like AMD, and a few hear probly like the power PC chips. I call a truce on the CPU and ask navida or ATI seeing as thay are the 2 biggies right now- I have an ATI right now but i am kinda likeing Navida becase thay have better driver suport, ATI tend to drive me up the wall some times.

Ok so everyone has had difrent experiences, some of us like intell some of us like AMD, and a few hear probly like the power PC chips. I call a truce on the CPU and ask navida or ATI seeing as thay are the 2 biggies right now- I have an ATI right now but i am kinda likeing Navida becase thay have better driver suport, ATI tend to drive me up the wall some times.

AMD own ATi you know ....

As an answer to why get PCIe, now they are making all the new cards in PCIe, PCIe cards don't give any performance benifits over AGP. But you would expect dated technology to be cheaper(AGP) but its achually more expensive to buy a AGP card than a PCIe (Might be cheaper on ebay or whatever? But first hand in NZ its about another $50 more for the equivilant AGP card)

AMD own ATi you know ....

I thought that was a relitivly recent aquistion ?

yes they bought 'em .. so they own them (thats own not pwn)

So it is resonable to say that ATI may get a little better over the next year or so. Im not a big gammer but I watch a lot of movies i rather like the all inwoder when thay work. then again anything after 6500 i havent had problems with.

I read some blogger/columnist/misinformed reporter suggest that the next 'logical' step would be to embed the graphics core INTO the CPU, along with the memory controller.

I have *NO* idea what that moron was smoking, but I want some of it. It sounds like some pretty strong stuff.