Jump to content

Metasploit on VM


AleV
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am running Kali Linux in VMWare on my Ubuntu laptop. I am trying to practice with metasploit within it. The problem is, when I run

msfconsole

within the terminal, I get the following:

:~# msfconsole
DEPRECATION WARNING: Support for Rails < 4.1.0 will be dropped. (called from <top (required)> at /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/lib/metasploit/pro/ui.rb:16)
/opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/wicked-0.5.0/app/controllers/wicked/wizard_controller.rb:5:in `<top (required)>': uninitialized constant ApplicationController (NameError)
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/engine.rb:465:in `block (2 levels) in eager_load!'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/engine.rb:464:in `each'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/engine.rb:464:in `block in eager_load!'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/engine.rb:462:in `each'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/engine.rb:462:in `eager_load!'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/engine.rb:347:in `eager_load!'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/application/finisher.rb:56:in `each'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/application/finisher.rb:56:in `block in <module:Finisher>'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/initializable.rb:30:in `instance_exec'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/initializable.rb:30:in `run'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/initializable.rb:55:in `block in run_initializers'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:226:in `block in tsort_each'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:348:in `block (2 levels) in each_strongly_connected_component'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:427:in `each_strongly_connected_component_from'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:347:in `block in each_strongly_connected_component'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:345:in `each'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:345:in `call'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:345:in `each_strongly_connected_component'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:224:in `tsort_each'
    from /opt/metasploit/ruby/lib/ruby/2.1.0/tsort.rb:205:in `tsort_each'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/initializable.rb:54:in `run_initializers'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/application.rb:215:in `initialize!'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/railtie/configurable.rb:30:in `method_missing'
    from /usr/share/metasploit-framework/config/environment.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/polyglot-0.3.5/lib/polyglot.rb:65:in `require'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/polyglot-0.3.5/lib/polyglot.rb:65:in `require'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.1.0/gems/railties-4.0.13/lib/rails/application.rb:189:in `require_environment!'
    from /usr/share/metasploit-framework/lib/metasploit/framework/command/base.rb:63:in `require_environment!'
    from /usr/share/metasploit-framework/lib/metasploit/framework/command/base.rb:81:in `start'
    from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/msfconsole:48:in `<main>'

I have checked the Rails version within the VM:

:~# rails -v
Rails 4.2.2

I have updated severally. Where am I going wrong forum?

Thank you for your guidance in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I google "/opt/metasploit/apps/pro/ui/lib/metasploit/pro/ui.rb" a thread from their forum is at the top of the list.

That thread acknowledges the issue and an update has since been released that should fix the issue.

Note that if you don't want to upgrade the forum thread suggests an alternate way of starting mfc which works in spite of the flaw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...