Solar Powered Wifi Pineapple MK5

Bitbot17

hello to the one who is/are reading this, i am looking for a power solution on the wifi pineapple mk5.

i have read on this page http://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/wifi-pineapple-kits/products/wifi-pineapple?variant=81044992 that the mk5 uses between 5-12 volts.

since im a newbie :huh: when it comes to electricity how many watts would be the minimum (to get the 5 or 12 volts) to get the wifi pineapple mk 5 to work properly?!

i have found 2 that i am interested in but need feed back if it is smart to do so or not

http://www.amazon.com/ReStore-Portable-Folding-Charger-Carrying/dp/B00FABKX7E/ref=sr_1_77?ie=UTF8&qid=1434471712&sr=8-77&keywords=portable+solar+charger

and

http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Charger-Portable-Foldable-USB-Charged/dp/B00M16DXKK/ref=sr_1_80?ie=UTF8&qid=1434471712&sr=8-80&keywords=portable+solar+charger

or if some has a different suggestion for solar power please let me know

many thanks in advance :smile:

The power from them is probably fine if you can use a wall outlet on it, but you should find out what kind of power supply capabilities the pineapple uses and the solar packs allow for hook up(looking they only do USB, but that is just based on the pics I looked at and may not be accurate).

I know the pineapple does DC power, but I don't know if it uses a wall wart converter for this alone, or if you can go directly over USB, since normal USB power, is only (+-5v) and the pineapple is (5-12v) so you might not get enough juice over USB alone to power it at full power(although the battery will probably help maintain some of this - I don't know if that would damage it).

Don't cross post, wait till someone with a pineapple replies, but read through the pineapple section. There is a whole forum subsection devoted to just the pineapple, and it's possible this question has already been asked/answered on how to power it off solar.

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/forum/64-wifi-pineapple-jasager/

Yeah it's on my shopping list. I've been looking for some gear for long term deployment so solar is a way to go. The battery with the Pineapple I think will do for most applications. It seems like there would be more demand for this kind of product with all of the laptops and microcomputers out there. One of the problems with a lot of solar panels is the reflective cells. Possibility of finding something subdued, tactical, rather than orange or pink or bright blue with shiney cells.

Well, I think you're going to need both. How much you need of each depends on your specific situation.

And I'm desperately waiting for the moment where you could drop a number of boxes in some area and thus expose a network without needing any additional work or effort. Nodes would find eachother and transfer data through them until either a node dies or some route onto the internet proper is found. So not so much a "hack everywhere, all the time" scenario, but rather an "internet, everywhere, all the time" scenario.

I've got a shopping center nearby that provides free internet to those within the shopping center but the signal doesn't go very far beyond that. Why not fix that?

Well, I think you're going to need both. How much you need of each depends on your specific situation.

And I'm desperately waiting for the moment where you could drop a number of boxes in some area and thus expose a network without needing any additional work or effort. Nodes would find eachother and transfer data through them until either a node dies or some route onto the internet proper is found. So not so much a "hack everywhere, all the time" scenario, but rather an "internet, everywhere, all the time" scenario.

I've got a shopping center nearby that provides free internet to those within the shopping center but the signal doesn't go very far beyond that. Why not fix that?

i like the idea of extending networks. especially where I live, I am bridged wirelessly from on end of the house to the other over two 802.11ac routers. The speed is around 120mbits between the two stations and really fast downloads, but we have a LOT of dropped packets and interference due to the house layout. Ideally I need like one more router between the two, and I'd like it to be outside, since the upstairs router is near the back wall window, I'd like to put a repeter on the back wall of the house to then reach the downstairs router and also for outside when on the phone, we use wifi to make phone calls over the skype line and don't get good cell phone coverage here. If I go outside with the kids to watch them in the pool or such, we lose signal in the yard, so this helps cover both ends a bit. If these were cheap wifi repeaters with little solar battery packs, we could potentially blanket the back yard with them and have a mesh outside, but then we expose our wireless network in the process, which is not ideal. There are no houses behind us though, and the nearest house would need a directional antenna to connect due to the distance, but could still be sniffed for bleed passively if sitting outside. We're locked down with WPA2 and no WPS enabled, but being deauthed by someone is still possible if they can find our signal. Fortunately we have good neighbors, and doubt the adults are into this sort of thing. No young kids to worry about.

i like the idea of extending networks. especially where I live, I am bridged wirelessly from on end of the house to the other over two 802.11ac routers. The speed is around 120mbits between the two stations and really fast downloads, but we have a LOT of dropped packets and interference due to the house layout. Ideally I need like one more router between the two, and I'd like it to be outside, since the upstairs router is near the back wall window, I'd like to put a repeter on the back wall of the house to then reach the downstairs router and also for outside when on the phone, we use wifi to make phone calls over the skype line and don't get good cell phone coverage here. If I go outside with the kids to watch them in the pool or such, we lose signal in the yard, so this helps cover both ends a bit. If these were cheap wifi repeaters with little solar battery packs, we could potentially blanket the back yard with them and have a mesh outside, but then we expose our wireless network in the process, which is not ideal. There are no houses behind us though, and the nearest house would need a directional antenna to connect due to the distance, but could still be sniffed for bleed passively if sitting outside. We're locked down with WPA2 and no WPS enabled, but being deauthed by someone is still possible if they can find our signal. Fortunately we have good neighbors, and doubt the adults are into this sort of thing. No young kids to worry about.

I've never been a fan of wireless repeaters, and avoid them like the plague. They cut the bandwidth in half, or worse. They also make tracking down wireless issues a pain in the ass, especially when the guy doing the troubleshooting doesn't know about them... Can't you run a cable through the attic?

No way to route them through the attic given the main room which the upstairs router and modem are hooked to has a 20 foot cathedral ceiling and no attic space. It's also at the outer wall of the far end of the house. Not to mention, not my house or I would have my modem online and not use her phone/modem combo my mother uses now. We're living with family at the moment and house hunting, so we're at the mercy of our situation so to speak, and the distance from upstairs where the modem is to opposite ends of the house downstairs with multiple rooms and walls in line, not worth my effort to start cutting holes in the walls and try to fish it through.

My speeds over wifi : 933735964.png

My speeds are plenty fast when on the network, it's just too many interruptions in the service, which I'm still not 100% sure is only the wifi at fault. I check it every time we lose connections(I work from home and require internet access to do my job so kind of need access at all times). Comcast is the ISP, and I find that sometimes when I lose internet access, I am still connected just fine to the upstairs router over wifi via the admin panels and can see both but the upstairs has no internet access itself. When this happens, I also lose access to the modem, which I have a feeling is the real culprit. There have been times when I can't access the modem, but still have Internet, so I can't say for sure its either wired vs wireless playing havoc.

She is supposed to have Comcast send out a new one for the whole xfinity thing, even though I told her to go back to a land line, kill all the pay channels and drop to basic TV and just Internet, no phone, but she just wants it all on one bill. The cost however is way more than it would be if she were to change her subscription, but she is the one paying it, so that's on her, and something we have to deal with as a result of the service since we don't own the modem or internet account.

Edited by digip

If that was happening here I'd attach one of my spare ARM machines to the router via UTP and use it to keep tabs on the service + router stats page over time so that when things die I have a trusted source to tell me the router is up the fritz or if other factors are at play.
Once this shows the router is up the fritz my first suggestion would be to put the router on one of those timer things that would cut the power for 15 minutes between 4 and 4:30 am or some similar ungodly hour I'm fairly confident nobody in their right mind should be using the network anyway - until the thing can be replaced of course. (one of these things)

Edited by Cooper

If that was happening here I'd attach one of my spare ARM machines to the router via UTP and use it to keep tabs on the service + router stats page over time so that when things die I have a trusted source to tell me the router is up the fritz or if other factors are at play.

Once this shows the router is up the fritz my first suggestion would be to put the router on one of those timer things that would cut the power for 15 minutes between 4 and 4:30 am or some similar ungodly hour I'm fairly confident nobody in their right mind should be using the network anyway - until the thing can be replaced of course. (one of these things)

I actually just upgraded the router upstairs a few weeks ago when I started the new job since I thought it was in part, due to the old router she had. The issues still happen, but not as often, and our speeds increased dramatically after the upgrade, to what you see in my post above(we were getting like 1mbit speed test results before the router swap). Wifi outages are happening, but there doesn't seem to be concrete reasons why since I check to see if the router is moved, it's not, and upstairs they have internet on wired when we lose it on wireless, while other times, it's out all around, which is just the shoddy comcast in our area for the most part. I've tried with all the doors open, moving furniture, etc, so it's just one of those things that I can't really pinpoint. I don't have a wifi analyzer but that would probably help me track where things are getting stronger and weaker signals. The fact the router gets such a strong signal is pretty decent considering all the shit in the house and we're on the outer walls at opposite ends of the house, with aluminum siding(not vinyl).

At the moment, my speeds from downstairs to the upstairs router to router : http://i.imgur.com/MO4DEUw.jpg

When the wifi is down, this gets a red X as a broken link so I can see when the wifi itself has lost it's signal. This is when I run upstairs to see if anyones moved the router, and if the modem is down, which it's usually up. When I do have the modem go out, I can usually tell when it's just the modem since i still have connectivity to the upstairs but no longer to the modem, so while it sucks, until I move, it's going to be like this and has since last August when we moved in. It's worse when it's hot out, and I notice we have major power issues here as well, which I keep all computer and network equipment on UPS backups. 1 upstairs, and two down stairs since we run the TV off one as well as multiple computer and network devices. I don't see power as the issue though since the modem and router are also on the upstairs UPS I bought.

Do you happen to have an ubertooth? If so, load up spectools on a linux machine. Then fire up the microwave, heat a glass of water or something. Could be leaking.

Don't have an ubertooth, but I'm running on 5ghz anyways, 802.11ac router to router. There are actually 3 microwave ovens in the house, and we use them all the time with no wifi issues. One upstairs, one near our room and router and one on the far side downstairs where my sister uses hers. That is one of the reasons I moved off 2.4 and went to 5ghz N only for the bridging of the two routers. I use 2.4 in the room locally for the phone, but my pc is wired to the downstairs router so it's only using the 5ghz to each the upstairs AP.

I feel like we kind of hijacked the ops thread here though. Getting back on target, curious to see someone do another solar build. I have one more 18watt panel sitting around, just no time to mess with it or the rest of the parts I need to make an outdoor safe router setup. Would make for a good project down the road.

I'm using this http://amzn.com/B00LVS7YRC works just fine with my Reaver Pro and seems to work just fine with the Wifi pineapple they both appear to operate on a DC 5v using 1 AMP.

That thing has horrible reviews, and there's no way in hell the solar panel will keep up with charging the battery while it's being used.

I've been using it to power my wifi pineapple ran it off the solar battery pack for a little over 1 hour worked just fine no issues.

I also tested it on a Reaver Pro had no issues running Reaver Pro off the solar battery pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfmAzz77JQE

Now i'd do a video of the solar battery pack running the wifi pineapple but it doesn't appear to be something care to much to watch the video i did using Reaver Pro has under 200 views as-is now granted Reaver Pro and the WiFi Pineapple are different people on Reaver System's asked about running reaver pro off a battery.

Get enough people who would care to see me do a video on running the wifi pineapple off solar battery i'll do a video.

The thing about solar powered stuff is solar stuff really never has been real popular solar charging can take a half a day in direct sunlight to even mange to fully charge something like that.

I live in Florida where i am i got direct sunlight from 8AM till 8PM depending on daylight savings time other wise it gets dark around 6 PM

People are welcome to their own opinions when making a review but that's just honestly their opinion if you wanted to hear my honest opinion on alot of things including the wifi pineapple right now i wouldn't recommend it why? lack of stuff made for it I'd rather buy a legit copy of Windows for $100 then buy the pineapple that's my opinion not every one shares the same feelings i do about it some possibly believe it is the best portable rouge ap since who knows what.

You get a bunch of people who possibly don't know how to use a pineapple to its fullest extend maybe that's me maybe i haven't honestly seen the potental the pineapple has.

I bought it haven't used it much since i had it why?

because the reason some people buy the pineapple might not be something im into doing with it.

My honest opinion and remember this is my opinion is that the pineapple would be perfect for being a black hat with if you're into stealing peoples information granted you can demonstate how people could use the pineapple for that kinda stuff however i don't make a habit of showing people that because most people could careless its like showing my mom or dad look mom i got a pineapple and anyone with $100 can get one of these set it up some place in a public place and con you into connecting to it and stealing your information they simply don't care. Not everyone is like that but most people around me honestly don't care.

So coming back to the solar pack them reviews on that solar battery pack might be honest and legit reviews but i'd rather not tell people stuff when im not quailtied in any field about the product and bash it.

This is the internet is flooded with people who spread disinformation for all i know it could be people who work in the gas and oil area's that wanna make people believe solar power is a joke because they don't want people to look into better energy.

I didn't mean to go into a long rant but if i can't personally see someone using the product and its a free for all for anyone to say what they have without any proof that its true then i'd rather find out myself their i used to like newegg before all the people who don't know what they're doing flooded newegg giving reviews claiming the product failed when it was possibly their fault it failed.

I would quote your post @zarabyte, but it's a bit long and to the point that, the pineapple is meant for 2 main crowds. 1, pentesters and/or law enforcement who have a legit means for it, 2, hobbyists who want something to play with on their network or for protecting their wireless network. This is not to say you won't have complete ass hats who buy them just to mess with other networks and intercept peoples traffic, but you can already do this with other tools. The pineapple just helps take some of the guesswork out of it, and the infusions make it easily customizable for specific tasks one might use on a pentest or in monitoring home wifi networks, extending internet access off a phone(wifi hotspot with better firewall setup on the pineapple as the main gateway for end users). It has a purpose, just depends on what you decide to make it useful for. If you don't know what you would use it for, then you shouldn't have bought one though. The thing about hacking is, experiment and make shit do what they weren't designed for to accomplish your goals, which the pineapple solves a lot of those issues for many people.