Pineapple stops functioning randomly. (6_6)

Happyjoe

Hi there,

First Let me say that this is a kick @ss device and still learning it. Thanks Hak5 team for making this lil booger.

So I've had this pineapple for about a week now and I've run into a few issues. I'm posting each issue so they can be address individually.

So randomly the device will reboot and them turn off and reboot over and over. Once this cycle starts, nothing can stop it other then doing a factory reset with the dip switches, so no logs.

This is the third time this has happen and I decided to record the device doing its thing. (

) You will see me plug it in and start the boot process blinking the blue light. after a good minute the device seems to power cycle and start booting up again. this will continue until I pull the plug.

I'm also having issue with a TPlink TL-WN722N but I'll get to that in another post.

Any Ideas?

Have you tried a different power supply? I have seen similar behavior from my Pineapple when it didn't have enough juice.

Worth a shot,I'd think. Just be sure the polarity of the 'test' supply is the same (center positive).

I have.

I have a usb adapter and the supplied adapter. this happen regardless of the power source.

so, you factory reset and then it starts doing this again eventually?

Have you swapped out the stock sd card and used a different one?

i would also look for a better power supply with 12v 1a.

Sorry for the late reply to this post. Still waiting to pop my cherry for this blog (2 post max per day)...

So I want to thank @Daddyphathax and @DataHead.

Daddyphathax - The power did seem to be an issue, but I figured that 5v @ 2a would be enough amps to power the unit (I assume that the pineapple is a 5v rail power, modulated through an on-board regulator which is why I assumes the unit could take a wide range of voltage inputs...) BUT... but the 5v@2a was not enough. (6_6) so I found a 12v @ 4a wall adapter, way more then enough to power the pineapple and maybe even a small usb hub... (idea) Thanks bro

DataHead - I have read a crap load about the SD card being crap (understandable to keep cost under control) so my Pi was nice enough to donate its high end SD card. (What a nice Pi)

The power technically fixed it, but the SD card was just wrapped into the same repair. I gave the "answered" point to Daddyphathax since he's a newbie and gave the first good answered.

Thank you both for the help.

so, you factory reset and then it starts doing this again eventually?

Have you swapped out the stock sd card and used a different one?

i would also look for a better power supply with 12v 1a.

Have you tried a different power supply? I have seen similar behavior from my Pineapple when it didn't have enough juice.

Worth a shot,I'd think. Just be sure the polarity of the 'test' supply is the same (center positive).

Sorry for the late reply to this post. Still waiting to pop my cherry for this blog (2 post max per day)...

So I want to thank @Daddyphathax and @DataHead.

Daddyphathax - The power did seem to be an issue, but I figured that 5v @ 2a would be enough amps to power the unit (I assume that the pineapple is a 5v rail power, modulated through an on-board regulator which is why I assumes the unit could take a wide range of voltage inputs...) BUT... but the 5v@2a was not enough. (6_6) so I found a 12v @ 4a wall adapter, way more then enough to power the pineapple and maybe even a small usb hub... (idea) Thanks bro

DataHead - I have read a crap load about the SD card being crap (understandable to keep cost under control) so my Pi was nice enough to donate its high end SD card. (What a nice Pi)

The power technically fixed it, but the SD card was just wrapped into the same repair. I gave the "answered" point to Daddyphathax since he's a newbie and gave the first good answered.

Thank you both for the help.

Nice! Glad it's working again. :-)

Happyjoe,you're right, the internal supply is 5V,regulated through a SMPS. The SMPS needs more than 5V on the input side though..say,maybe 7V at the very least.

A decent 9-12V 1A adapter will probably be enough for most cases.

I haven't used the 'stock' SD card,except for the initial setup firmware flash procedure. I've been using a Class10 8Gig Sandisk card,and it's been working well.

• 1 month later...

Hey Happyjoe, I wanted to know if you could tell me what problems you were having with the TPlink TL-WN722N and if you were able to fix them. I've been having problems too. I mentioned some of the problems in the "Supported high throughput wireless adapters" thread. I can't connect in client mode using the TL-WN722N as wlan2.