windows xp home lockdown

CaveMan

Ok

My dad has asked me to set up windows xp home, and "lock it down" so it only has a browser and word processor.

My question is, how would i do this in home edition? I can remove windows media player and windows messenger, but is there any way to restrict the computer to doing almost nothing?

I know in xp pro there was a way to create custom permissions and such for this kind of thing, but we dont have a spare copy of it (and i cant use *nix)

Why can't you use Linux/BSD? Web browsers and word processors are what Linux/BSD are good at :P

The obvious thing to do is turn off javascript on IE perminantly, and install Firefox and opera. Also, make the account a limited account, that's pretty much all you can do.

Microsoft released a utility to "lock-down" windows machines, it was designed for use with public computers like in libaries or internet cafes.

I haven't gotten around to playing with it yet and I don't know whether it works with home but that should probably be your first port of call.

You COULD also install an alternate shell isntead of using Explorer.exe. Unfortunatly, I can't remember any off the top of my head that would work well. Maybe use http://www.nliteos.com]Nlite to remove most of the stuff, Install Firefox or Opera, and Office/OpenOffice.org, then remove as many icons from the taskbar as possible.

If someone tries hard enough and can think outside the box they will get past you.. I remember when I was still in school EVERYTHING was locked and hidden... Everything but Help, I used the Help menu to get into the sound manager and turn the sound back on so I could listen to music with my headphones... I don't remember how but I got a working command prompt from the help menu one time too..

If someone tries hard enough and can think outside the box they will get past you.. I remember when I was still in school EVERYTHING was locked and hidden... Everything but Help, I used the Help menu to get into the sound manager and turn the sound back on so I could listen to music with my headphones... I don't remember how but I got a working command prompt from the help menu one time too..

i don't mind if its easy to get past... my dads step children wouldn't know a dos prompt... even if you told them 5 mins earlier

As for the cmd at school, you can always use "command" instead for its needed to start up and wont be blocked