Did/Does your high-school offer a Cisco course?

RobotChild

I was digging through a box of my brother's PHP books, and I stumbled upon his Cisco book.

It's definitley the largest text-book in Highschool.

I'm curious, did/does your highschool offer this course?

(I'ma go check tomorrow if it's still offered. Most unlikely though, there were 7 or so students in my bro's class.)

The school system here works a little different from yours.

When I was on an MTS we got Novel tought to us, but not as an official Novell course with a certificate at the end.

Later when I attended an HTS we had a Databases course where the choice was given between getting a course in MS Access for 1 hour a week for 1 full semester, or getting a 1 week course in MS SQL Server 6.5 which would include the MS SQL Server 6.5 exam.

That was about as technical as they would get. I haven't heard from younger cow-orkers about things being any different these days. Well, except for them being tought Java and Visual Basic (I shit you not!) where back in my days it was all Pascal as a stepping stone to C.

Two of my relatives took a Cisco class in HS and it was a total joke. First, the teacher was clueless as to how networks are connected and the lab was never fully setup for them to use.

I remember my cousin coming to me asking if what his teacher said was true: "The reason you see some websites using www2 is because we're running out of www addresses."

Uh, what?!?!

Now, the class was 4 semesters long and I asked my cousin after it was all said and done a couple of simple subnet questions, just to pick on him, and his response was classic ... "What's a subnet?". This was after he PASSED the class.

Hopefully your experience is a lot different than theirs.

We had Acorns and BBC Micro's when I was in school, dial up was all the rage with 56K just coming in, the *rich* kids had ISDN and windows 98 was in beta. PHP didn't really exist and englands total number of working cisco routers was still in double figures...

Two of my relatives took a Cisco class in HS and it was a total joke. First, the teacher was clueless as to how networks are connected and the lab was never fully setup for them to use.

I remember my cousin coming to me asking if what his teacher said was true: "The reason you see some websites using www2 is because we're running out of www addresses."

Uh, what?!?!

Now, the class was 4 semesters long and I asked my cousin after it was all said and done a couple of simple subnet questions, just to pick on him, and his response was classic ... "What's a subnet?". This was after he PASSED the class.

Hopefully your experience is a lot different than theirs.

Hopefully.

My brother really liked the course.

And the students get to take all the schools old computers.

I had the great fortune in being able to participate in a vocational program my junior and senior years. It consisted of spending half the day at a technical college across town, attending the online Cisco networking academy and playing with the pretty decent lab setup.

I owe that school a lot for first introducing me to enterprise networking, and my first CCNA certification.

They offered a Cisco course at my old HS. I enjoyed it, we got away with so much stuff and at the end of the year we all got to mod a computer and take it home with us. I think theres still a picture of my mod on the wall of the classroom.

We had Acorns and BBC Micro's when I was in school, dial up was all the rage with 56K just coming in, the *rich* kids had ISDN and windows 98 was in beta. PHP didn't really exist and englands total number of working cisco routers was still in double figures...

Heh yeah... I don't think there were any notable courses teaching anything you'd want to know about Acorns that you couldn't figure out yourself within 20 minutes (probably 5 if you had a big pile of those Acorn manuals)...

Great old machines though...

Thanks for the reminder that I graduating high school before a lot of you were born. :shock:

I did find out that in the late 90's there was a huge Cisco lab built in the regional headquarters where kids could sign up for the CCNA classes. I had the pleasure of wiring the multimedia center they built in 98/99, it was great. They had distance learning labs, ethernet ports in all the labs/desks, lots of great opportunities.

Our school had a distance learning lab, until it gathered dust for five years, then us in stage crew were allowed to take the equipment. Now be have two new robotic cameras, eight big screen TVS for video production (before we used old Apple //e monitors) and a tuch panel to control them all. Taking apart school property is fun!

I grew up in a Podunkvill in Wisconsin so the only computer-like course we had was Computer Science that was a one semester course everyone was made to take that went over the very basics of Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. After that the closest thing was Metal Shop... And I'm only 19 so this wasn't like a long time ago. In fact they haven't added anymore classes like that still.