Kali + Dual Boot Macbook Pro + Wireless Adapter

sedpaffy

Hi guys.

Situation

So I've had some pineapple issues and currently waiting on receiving a new one.

In the meantime I thought I'd partition my macbook and try installing Kali linux on it! (great fun :grin: )

These are the specs I'm working with:

Macbook pro (mid 2009) 10.10 Yosemite - BCM43xxx wireless card

Kali Linux (dual boot) 1.1

Question

1 - My n00b question is has anyone any experience with wireless usb adapters supporting packet injection?

2 - Even though I'm dual booting into Kali should I be concerned that the hardware is Mac OS X and should I be specifically looking for Mac OS X support from vendors?

Or because I'm dual booting, is Linux support ok?

I'm looking at something like these from the Alfa vendors

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NHA-Wireless-Adaptor-Compatible/dp/B004Y6MIXS

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NH-Wireless-Long-Range-Screw-On/dp/B003YIFHJY/ref=pd_sim_pc_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=10DB754Q0SEQPJYAVMA2

Thanks, I appreciate any answers.

On a side note, not sure if anyone had this issue but when I was booting into Kali I was getting some weird stuff like not seeing my home wifi - and when I intermittently saw it I couldn't log-in successfully. When I deleted my home network from the Sys Preferences--> Network Panel and booted into Kali I was then able to log-in successfully!

1. Yes, get the Alfa AWUS036NHA, works straight out the box.

2. Not really sure what you mean but you should do just fine with any Linux support forum.

I wouldn't really recommend Kali unless you know what you are doing, Ubuntu would have been a better option.

1. Yes, get the Alfa AWUS036NHA, works straight out the box.

2. Not really sure what you mean but you should do just fine with any Linux support forum.

I wouldn't really recommend Kali unless you know what you are doing, Ubuntu would have been a better option.

Thanks for the response.

What I meant was - because my laptop is essentially a Macbook pro- should the adapter I buy specify that it supports Mac OS?

I didn't think this would've been a problem but because of the issues associated with connecting to my wifi it doesn't seem like everything is separated as such.

So to try and be as clear and succinct as I can be.

The real question

My laptop is a Macbook pro but I'm booting to Kali OS - when buying an adapter should I look that it supports the Mac OS even though I'll be booting into linux?

For example the Alfa AWUS036NHA doesn't support Mac OS but the Alfa AWUS036NH does.

decisions decisions... :unsure:

I've got some books on kali and hoping to learn a bit more about pentesting- that's why I'm using it.

I've dual-booted Kali on my MacBook Pro (Late 2011) and I do remember it being a massive pain in the arse... Specifically with getting the EFI boot to work, as well as working AMD drivers for my MBP's radeon card. Good times. Ubuntu is so much easier!

Thanks for the responses. Thanks also Crazy Clown I guess that answers my question. I just didn't want to buy a wifi adapter and not have it work on my machine. I was just feeling extra skeptical after troubleshooting my Kali install on my macbook pro.

Thanks @alcatos also- I've got Kali 1.1 booted ok and so far it was just the wireless thing that was causing me issues- hopefully that's resolved now- next step is to try it with the wireless adapter and keep my fingers crossed!

I'm not sure how to close this topic but if possible I'll take crazyclowns response as an answer.

:D