{FWD} FileWatchDog [VSS]

{ Hex }

Hello,

This is a visual studio project of mine i posted it on a other forums and i decided for my 1st post\thread ill rel my small project.

This monitors file events on the FileSystem this application is written in the .net language and this is the full source.

Thank you.

p.s i'm not gonna post a VT scan cause this is the vss (source)

FWD.zip

p.s i'm not gonna post a VT scan cause this is the vss (source)

Well, perhaps you should reconsider that since your code drop contains 3 exe files and a dll

A few things:

1. You wrote this in VB. .Net is the platform, not the language.

2. Comments! It'll save your sanity when you get back to your code after doing something else for a month or two.

3. You're mixing UI logic with business logic. While "Button5_Click" might make sense in the context of clicking a button, the things you do at that point (write what has happened so far to a logfile) should be put in its own, separate function with a vastly more appropriate name. And probably within a file other than "Form1.vb". The hooks you're placing on the FileSystemWatcher object would probably also be better served with a separate code file.

4. Did I mention comments?

Well, perhaps you should reconsider that since your code drop contains 3 exe files and a dll

A few things:

1. You wrote this in VB. .Net is the platform, not the language.

2. Comments! It'll save your sanity when you get back to your code after doing something else for a month or two.

3. You're mixing UI logic with business logic. While "Button5_Click" might make sense in the context of clicking a button, the things you do at that point (write what has happened so far to a logfile) should be put in its own, separate function with a vastly more appropriate name. And probably within a file other than "Form1.vb". The hooks you're placing on the FileSystemWatcher object would probably also be better served with a separate code file.

4. Did I mention comments?

about calling it .net were i come from sometimes that how it is named i always put vb over .net i just did not feel like it people most of the time know what your talking about when you say that anyway.

Comments() i use them but not all the time prob cause im lazy.

Well, since you won't bother to scan it, I guess I will. Just because you state something is safe, doesn't mean people will run it without checking the code and compiling themselves. I don't have .net setup at the moment, but I am curious if anyone has compiled the source and compared it to the uploaded files though.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/186dd1a5281796bae887ed47bbffc714b26c96ff63652fecc30e9cdb0d199d16/analysis/1427408791/

https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/rogue_w32_systemtool.shtml

Edited by digip

Well, since you won't bother to scan it, I guess I will. Just because you state something is safe, doesn't mean people will run it without checking the code and compiling themselves. I don't have .net setup at the moment, but I am curious if anyone has compiled the source and compared it to the uploaded files though.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/186dd1a5281796bae887ed47bbffc714b26c96ff63652fecc30e9cdb0d199d16/analysis/1427408791/

https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/rogue_w32_systemtool.shtml

with that being said this is project you can look over the code before you run it even it was just the .exe there are .net decomps everywhere.