What Am I?

In May I graduate with a dual Major In Information Assurance and Personal computer Management. I don't really want to sit in front of a computer saying " Have you tried turning it on and off again." even though i'm definitely not above it. I just want to do other things. I've tried to research the job title tiers for Information Assurance Associates degrees with no luck. So do any of you know with an associates would I be considered a level 1 analyst? :sad:

Edited by arober23

Maybe you should first specify those "other things" you want to do.

The point being, you're looking at if adding X improves things, but if you don't know where you want to go, how do you know if it's really an improvement?

It really depends on how much work experience you have. Degrees are cool and all, but without the experience of actually applying your knowledge in the real world, yep, you're going to have to do the "have you tried turning it off and on again" stuff for a bit. :wink:

I'd say don't try to define yourself to fit into any cookie cutter mold of what you think you should be. Especially just out of school, work more on your skills, setting up a home lab for instance and practicing what you want to do at work and getting out of your comfort zone trying new things you don't yet know. You'll more than likely start helpdesk and work your way up in most cases any way, but it's not unheard of to move directly into a team looking for new people on the floor doing work in system administration, networking or more.

By defining your skill set in terms of a label, you're going to limit yourself. When interviewed, think about what you would ask someone, and who you would want on your team. Have some goals of where you see yourself in a few years. It's important to visualize what you want to be doing and start working towards those areas regardless of employers you apply with. This might surprise you but once you get your feet wet, you're probably going to want to go back to school for certain things you hadn't thought of yet, or will start absorbing everything around you like a sponge at a rapid pace. This is different for every person.

If computers are your passion and technology the like, you'll be fine so long as you stay true to what your interests are. Never say no to anything. Most people learn as they go too, so if someone asks you to help with a project, jump in. You'll learn and lead in doing so. There are plenty of different departments within a company, so don't go in with a narrow minded scope of what you're expecting to be able to do, or you're going to be limiting yourself from learning and growing. Be yourself and allow them to see the spark in you that got you into the field in the first place and you'll figure it out as you go.

• 2 weeks later...

i know im new here but believe me when i went to school i was a bit younger and i have been working with computer since the mid 90's and it was all about computer repair, by the time i got to and out of school that is a lost art!!! for real things dont break as often as they did and if they do you go buy a new one lol so i have an associates in ISST information system support technician and my A+ Cert of which just look good on a resume considering what i currently do, which is freelance PHP development,

see along with building and fixing computers i also love to program and create things from nothing in the digital space :P but i never really decided to go back since im making decent money doing it myself on my own time. so really once you are finished and graduated just pick something and hit it hard if you dont like it then try something else who knows you may just be the next bill gates or steve jobs, just dont steal from you friends :P and hide behind laws that dont exist yet lmao! srry to those of you who like either of them guys haha