Are Public WiFi Networks safe for use by the general public?

srswubwub

Hey Ladies and Gents,

Obligatory first sentence to explain that I'm a long time Hak5 follower and a lover of my pineapple mark 5.

I'm currently in my final year of University here in the UK, this can be verified by looking at the wrinkles around my eyes, and I'm finishing off my dissertation. This dissertation is a 15000 word study on whether public WiFi networks are safe for use by the general public.

I've gone about completing this in a number of ways:

1. Questionnaires to the public asking about their habits regarding public wifi use

2. Interviews with two network admins who run large public networks for shopper in city centres

3. Physical tests with my own equipment, the Pineapple has genuinely made my life so easy on this point.

What I'm doing now is beefing up a part of the work called the 'Literature Review', and yes it's as boring as it sounds...I promise. This is were I hit a sticking point, I'm having a real crappy time with finding some academic/government sources that can be pulled into this research.

So if anybody can link to a great article or can throw a book title my way I'd really appreciate it. Cheers guys and gals.

There is also JStor, but not sure if available worldwide or just in the US. MIT students get a free subscription to it I believe. Some stuff may need a subscription to be able to read.

http://www.jstor.org/action/doBasicSearch?Query="public+wifi"&prq="public+wifi"+safety&group=none&hp=25&wc=on&fc=off&so=rel&acc=off

From a quick browse on JSOR from .nl all I can find is that you can register an account and then put up to 3 'items' on your shelf. That 'item' will remain there for at least 14 days, thus limiting how much of what you can see for free.

Obviously there's some payment model that allows you to expand on this. Look at the right column. I'm not quite sure what it is you're getting, but if you want close to everything as a digital item and you're a very large school who probably signed its life away for the license, you get the content for the low-low price of just under 50 grand. Given the volume it doesn't strike me as an insane amount, but when you compare that against archive.org one can't help but wonder why they need to charge for it at all...

Edited by Cooper

From a quick browse on JSOR from .nl all I can find is that you can register an account and then put up to 3 'items' on your shelf. That 'item' will remain there for at least 14 days, thus limiting how much of what you can see for free.

Obviously there's some payment model that allows you to expand on this. Look at the right column. I'm not quite sure what it is you're getting, but if you want close to everything as a digital item and you're a very large school who probably signed its life away for the license, you get the content for the low-low price of just under 50 grand. Given the volume it doesn't strike me as an insane amount, but when you compare that against archive.org one can't help but wonder why they need to charge for it at all...

This is the same archive of journals and papers that Aaron Swartz was being sued for accessing by the US Government after it was found he broke into the network closet at school to download what he already had a subscription to.

Aaron was way ahead of his time and an asset I think most people will never know about. I watched the documentary on YouTube few weeks back, few times now, and it's still hard to not get angry how they handled it. Our government rather silence people who contribute to the world vs pardon and forgive them for minor victimless crimes. murder and rape get less sentences.