TPU-Data User Wireshark SMS

bass

Hi,

I just try to capture GSMTAP packets from my OpenBTS. unfortunately I could not get SMS content as plain text. anybody know how to figure out this problem?

some sources said with standart wireshark they could get content sms in plain text. I had tried to copy its hex stream and decode with 7bit encoder which was provided online, but the result was same, I got nothing.

Many Thanks,
Bass

I was under the impression that GSM typically used some level of encryption for its transports. Did you deactivate/not configure this for your OpenBTS 'tower'?

Maybe something for a separate thread, but could you describe your setup? What you're doing here sounds really fascinating.

Unless you can force it to lower bands, 3g and above generally I believe are encrypted. 2g and lower bands I believe can be read more easily though. Google Georgia Weidman for some of her videos on capturing phone traffic.

https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/

Edited by digip

hi cooper,

I used default configuration on my openBTS. only changing the GSMTAP config with "1" to enable wireshark for capturing the openbts packets.

here is its pcap file :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2PfFt7P5kAgcjJaQUNBeVFuMGM&authuser=0

hi digip,
what I know is openbts run on 2G not 3G. then, open encryption also optional, in this case my configuration is "GSM.Cipher.Encrypt 0" (default, without encryption).

anyway, I have send this issue to ask.wireshark also. they said that TP-data malformed. but still confuse, how come, because i used "fresh" openbts installation and without any chnges the parameter, except gsmtap fiture. :sad:

is there anyone here ever capture messge over OpenBTS before? some of tutorial I saw, could get it as plain text also without any changing on its configurations..

You may need an additional plugin or settings enabled, but wireshark should be capable of reading the unencrypted 2G data. Try display filter gsm_map.ms.sai_Present but if you already see the data and malformed, I'm thinking it may be still encrypted or something else not setup properly.

http://wiki.wireshark.org/GsmProtocolFamily

Edited by digip