FATAL: Failed to open HackRF device (-1000) HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB

hairbag

anyone know how to get a new hackrf to actually work?

hackrf tools and gnuradio all installed, followed hackrf tutorials for gnuradio etc.

cant flash firmware, cant do anything with it.

no worky in winxp, win7, kali or ubuntu sdr distro....device fails to initiate at boot on all. can install zadig drivers in windblowz but nothing works. get a short burst of what appears to be signal in the waterfall then it freezes up, no sound, no peaks to indicate channels etc.

no matter what i try in kali all i get is errors, tried installing from apt,synaptic and from source ....nothin but

FATAL: Failed to open HackRF device (-1000) HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB

FATAL: Failed to open HackRF device (-5) HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB

Edited by hairbag

yup all installed correctly no broken dep's all updates and upgrades from kali repo's

dmesg shows

[19231.875505] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 18 using ehci-pci
[19232.008953] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d50, idProduct=6089
[19232.008970] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[19232.008978] usb 2-1: Product: HackRF One
[19232.008985] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Great Scott Gadgets
[19232.011437] hackrf 2-1:1.0: Board ID: 02
[19232.011447] hackrf 2-1:1.0: Firmware version: 2014.08.1
[19232.012049] hackrf 2-1:1.0: Registered as swradio0
[19232.012058] hackrf 2-1:1.0: SDR API is still slightly experimental and functionality changes may follow

lsusb shows

Bus 002 Device 018: ID 1d50:6089 OpenMoko, Inc

like i said does not wrk in windblows, kali or the sdr distro. its something to do with the firmware and its registering of the usb device string. clearly something borked in there if its registering as two different devices.

I've used both in windows and linux. If you're using Kali, their libusb support is iffy. Try using the gnuradio live cd to update the firmware.

Yep, that works to update the firmware, still bombs out in Kali... I think it was better when they still called it backtrack. After the Kali move everything went to hell.

Edited by barry99705

blowed up kali and restored from a few day old back up. did a full kali install from apt-get and created a few rules to match the harware identifiers in .udev

can now use my ubertooth and hackrf in kali but constantly get the 00000000000000's or buffer erors due to mhy computer sucking moose balls. so i reduced the sample rate waaaaay down and i can now get them both working reoutinely. still cannot use ubertooth with wispy spectrum analyzzer but can use it with all the ubertooth utils.

you and hundreds of others are having the issues. pretty sure its because of a bad firmware flash from the factory.

i blowed up kali trying to get mine to work so i restored to a a few day old clonezilla image and everything started working again after i managed to reflash the hackrf afew times.

your firmware has to match the hackrf package version you are using(Package/ Firmware Version: 2014.08.1) i also read somewhere where mossmann says the udev rule file can pollute some systems so i byassed that and not using this time round and am having hackrf joy joy without.

use the following to update libhackrf and hackrf frimware. I had to boot up the gnuradio live cd to flash mine. i have always had a wierd thing that i re-flash things 3 times over when they arrive buggy to help burn in the firmware and to wake up the chip so to speak.

open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t)

git clone https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf.git
cd hackrf/host/libhackrf/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

# can ignore this part

copy /home/hackrf/host/libhackrf/53-hackrf.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d
udevadm control --reload-rules

# continue from here

reboot

open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t)

cd /root/hackrf-2014.08.1/firmware-bin

sudo hackrf_spiflash -w hackrf_one_usb_rom_to_ram.bin

reset your hack rf
cd ..
cd ..
cd firmware/cpld

hackrf_cpldjtag -x default.xsvf

reset your hack rf

# i am a mutant wierdo and reflashed mine 3 times....both parts of the reflash 3x.

hackrf_info

Found HackRF board.
Board ID Number: 2 (HackRF One)
Firmware Version: 2014.08.1
Part ID Number: 0xa000cb3c 0x00694753
Serial Number: 0x00000000 0x00000000

also do an apt-get update and upgrade. there have been a few updates to the kali sdr packages over the past few weeks if thats what you are using.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am on Kali Linux 3.18.0-kali3-amd64

apt-get update & upgrade done ...

But for me, same same same problem (!!!) : hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB (-1000)

"apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev" already done

lsusb say :

Bus 001 Device 024: ID 1d50:6089 OpenMoko, Inc.

dmesg say :

[27648.846849] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 23 using xhci_hcd
[27649.923714] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 24 using xhci_hcd
[27650.052432] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d50, idProduct=6089
[27650.052439] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[27650.052443] usb 1-1: Product: HackRF One
[27650.052445] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Great Scott Gadgets
[27650.053992] hackrf 1-1:1.0: Board ID: 02
[27650.053997] hackrf 1-1:1.0: Firmware version: 2014.08.1
[27650.054229] hackrf 1-1:1.0: Registered as swradio0
[27650.054233] hackrf 1-1:1.0: SDR API is still slightly experimental and functionality changes may follow

Firmware is OK, isn't it ??? (Firmware version: 2014.08.1)

i have got no solution for HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB

Anyone to help me ???

Thanks

i had issues getting mine to wake up till i managed to flash it. now works flawless all the time.

do you have any udev rules ? read somewhere they can corrupt system if not setup right. delete and reboot

purge remove hackrf

and gnuradio and all files for both

remove anything to do with sdr and packages

reboot

autoremove and clean

reboot

then reinstall both through synaptic check for all the gnu radio and hack rf

also check to see if its being detected in your system startup before you log in

Edited by hairbag

i am pretty sure its corrupted or infected firmware from factory. try hot plugging with/without the dfu or reset buttons pressed i think thats what i did to get mine to wake up and into dfu mode to flash finally

It's not the firmware. Boot your laptop with the gnuradio live cd. It will work just fine there.

• 1 month later...

I had some issues getting the hackrf to run on Kali here's a few things to try:

Make sure all required libraries are installed

Make sure the hackrf software is installed (hackrf-tools, and the other one can't think of it's name right now)

Run "sudo hackrf_info" if it's still spitting this error at you run "sudo rmmod hackrf" then try the hackrf_info command again.

Best of luck and remember google google google! lol

Edited by Sildaekar

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to hear that rmmod hackrf temporarily fixed it for you. What I did was create a small bash script called hackrf.sh containing:

#!/bin/bash
rmmod hackrf
hackrf_info

and then place it in /usr/share/bin (I think that's the correct directory). That way I just run the command "hackrf" from the terminal and it runs the bash script automatically letting me know if the hackrf is talking to my box.

EDIT:

You may be able to add the hackrf module to your blacklist, can't remember the name of that file right off the top of my head though.

Edited by Sildaekar

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

"rmmod hackrf" is THE solution for me ( :smile: ) (KaliLinux 3.18.0-kali3-amd643) to close the problem "hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB (-1000)"

I created a "Blacklist file" in /etc/modprobe.d which contained only the following text "blacklist hackrf"

So it works fine with root's rights :

root@KaL:/home/david# hackrf_info
Found HackRF board.
Board ID Number: 2 (HackRF One)
Firmware Version: 2014.08.1
Part ID Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXx XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX

BUT it's NOT work with simple user rights.

I have got now the message :

david@KaL:~$ hackrf_info
hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_NOT_FOUND (-5)

It is the same problem WITH or WITHOUT the "/etc/udev/rules.d/83-hackrf.rules" file

What can I do now ????

David for helps

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi i was have the same problems

failed: HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB (-1000)

due to gnuradio bug #528.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::math::rounding_error> >'
what(): Error in function boost::math::round<f>(f): Value -inf can not be represented in the target integer type.
Aborted
i tried everything suggested hear and online had to reinstall twice but i used a different usb cable and usb 2 not usb3 and ran rmmod & hackrfhackrf_info now works grate dont know if this helps but yea works fine thanks

but i keep getting

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

any thoughts

now i tride installing GR_GSM and this has come up

gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.9.2; Boost_105500; UHD_003.009.000-1-g71985969

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
gr-osmosdr 0.1.3 (0.1.3) gnuradio 3.7.5
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
gqrx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.1.3: undefined symbol: _ZN3uhd6device4findERKNS_13device_addr_tE

help me please

I found this when I googled your first problem.

The second one suggests that the code is expecting a function to be exported by libgnuradio-osmosdr but it isn't which suggests a mismatch in code between gqrx and that library.

You should reinstall both of them. What distro are you using?