Client Signal Strength

edwingeorge747

Hello,

I am looking for an infusion which helps me receive the signal strength of the clients attached with their own access points. Like it should display which clients (MAC addresses) are connected to which access points which i was able to find. But i was not able to find the signal strength of those clients with respect to their access points connected. Any help would be appreciated.

You're asking a fairly strange question. In human terms, you want to know how loud the person across the room can hear you scream, without knowing if the other person is hard of hearing or gifted with an acute sense of sound. At best, you can try to find out at what volume you can hear the other person shouting at you, but that has absolutely no relation to the volume (s)he hears you at. The only way to know what volume everybody hears you at is by going past every single one of them and asking.

QFE

The only way to know what volume everybody hears you at is by going past every single one of them and asking.

I'm saying it can't be done without checking each of the clients since signal strength is what the client perceives and not something the client sends out.

I could be wrong but does airomon show snr for clients when scanning or just the ap's dbi ?

Also, other wifi analyzers show his as well no?

Edited by digip

I was under the impression that that's the signal strength which the AP perceives of the client's signal. This isn't neccessarily related to the signal strength the client perceives of the AP's signal, which seems to be the bit the OP is asking about.

If you look at this screenshot:

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/25/91/63509567831583/0/hack-wi-fi-getting-started-with-aircrack-ng-suite-wi-fi-hacking-tools.w654.jpg

It shows PWR, which I asume is some way related to the signal strength but not sure its exact correlation to snr or dbi, or if you can change this. I know you can sort things by different options, but not sure if it can be configured to show the snr or dbi level.

The one in the aboce link shows pwr for an unassociated probe as well as the pwr for the ap's it sees.

PWR Signal level reported by the card. Its signification depends on the driver, but as the signal gets higher you get closer to the AP or the station. If the BSSID PWR is -1, then the driver doesn't support signal level reporting. If the PWR is -1 for a limited number of stations then this is for a packet which came from the AP to the client but the client transmissions are out of range for your card. Meaning you are hearing only 1/2 of the communication. If all clients have PWR as -1 then the driver doesn't support signal level reporting.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airodump-ng

I guess its more the strength of your card in terms of how close you are to the other devices and what level of strength you can see them at though.

Edited by digip