anyone experience with freespire?

DeGrijze

Someone told me of a free Linix distro i never heard of its named "FreeSpire" (i do know of LinSpire).

Is there anyone here with some experience with freespire?

Is it any attention worthy (as a debian en windows user)?

:wink:

Gerard

Not used it, but I know they've gotten a lot of stick because people feel there not being true to the Linux ideals (or that might just be Linspire, the parent outfit). I think they include proprietary software as standard. Long and short of it is that it appears to be quite similar to Ubuntu in design and practice. I'd stick with Debian or give Ubuntu a whirl if your looking for a simple Linux distro.

@ VaKo, well I downloaded a ISO of FreeSpire and started it up (ISO can run on cd and also has a install to HD option just like the Ubuntu distro that you named) as run on cd.

At first glance it looks slow but nice.

Wil put it on a spare system here and let the kids start playing with it.

Let you all know how it ends.

:wink:

Gerard

Wel here is a little update:

Instald Freespire on the sparebox, installation went smood.

Playing with it take some ghetting use to, but if you like to run a Linux OS in only X then this is somthing fore you.

Installing exstra's prog: or addon's is simpel (almost just like in windows) with the CNR icon button.

Found out that freespire has a problem with my MatroX dual monitor video card (no dual monitor function (and that sucks big time for me)).

Desktop2.png

The Freespire Support form is frendly ( logt on the form as a noob and played for stupid) and must say (all do my MatroX dual monitor video card problem is'nt solft) the welcom all users Geek's and noob's.

I think that i will setup a Box with freespire by my 7 and 9 year old kids and biy my parents just to see if they can get used to working with linux inplace of windows.

Will let you know.

Gerard

:P

that is one of the glossiest linux user interfaces i have seen so far.

freespire is meant to be Linux for beginners and i remember at one stage from certain computer manufacturers (Australia) where giving an option to have linspire/freespire/lindows as the main operating system operating system, but recently i have not heard or any anything from them