So you think the G80 is big...

RobotChild

It's hard to make out, but looking at the connector I'm saying this is an ISA card. In other words, old rubbish. Would explain the three slots on the left, which would then be what the 3 known types of CDROM player can connect to.

Yes, back in those days the sound card acted as IDE controller to the CDROM drive. Or at least was capable of it.

It might also be worth while to note that old cases used to have a guide rail of sorts near the front-side of the case so that long cards would be supported not only by the front and the connector, but also by the rail near the rear. I wouldn't call it outlandish to assume some cards were streched to a given length precisely to allow for this extra support to be available.

Would explain the three slots on the left, which would then be what the 3 known types of CDROM player can connect to.

Just off the top of my head, just to see if I remember, would those be Sony, Matsushita and... something else... I'm tempted to say IDE but I don't think it was, I have a feeling it was another proprietory connector...

Edit: Apparently the third one was Mitsumi... *shrugs*... ahh, I remember I had one of those non-IDE Sony drives once, a PITA IIRC :D