What OS can I use

Brennan

Well, you can run Linux on embedded systems that have almost no memory at all (my own example being an HP Jornada 680 with 16 megs total). And vsftpd, the only FTP server anybody with half a brain would still use today on a UNIX system, uses practically no memory at all according to top (virt was 256. Res and shr were FAR lower).

Alternatively, look into some of the Real-Time OSes.

Well, you can run Linux on embedded systems that have almost no memory at all (my own example being an HP Jornada 680 with 16 megs total). And vsftpd, the only FTP server anybody with half a brain would still use today on a UNIX system, uses practically no memory at all according to top (virt was 256. Res and shr were FAR lower).

Alternatively, look into some of the Real-Time OSes.

The best example (currently) is the that Linksys WRT450 (is that it?). It probably has (at most) 4MB of system RAM (with separate RAM space for ARP tables and the like (1MB usually is over kill for a device aimed at the home user).

(Sorry double post, but I'm making a point)

If you are dumb enough to install windows 98, not be able to setup FreeNAS and can't work out how to get basic external access to a box...you shouldn't be allowed to have a server.

No offence, but that's just what I think.

Please, for god sake, don't put that thing in the DMZ.

I only put things in the DMZ it I NEED to test them and then I take them right out

I don't want to start any pwn warz00rz here, but use FileZilla FTP:

Filezilla dosen't work on 98 or I wouldn't have asked

If you are dumb enough to install windows 98, not be able to setup FreeNAS and can't work out how to get basic external access to a box...you shouldn't be allowed to have a server.

I tried install a newer windows version and it wont work in 32MB of RAM and tried linux and every time I tried to install it had a problem when istalling so I went to 98 and still working on the freeNAS server (i have about 4 I'm working on) and I can get extenal access it just wont stay connected

I only put things in the DMZ it I NEED to test them and then I take them right out

You shouldn't even do that. A DMZ should only be used if:

You have setup a honey pot for fun.

You have a computer setup as a gateway and so it needs to receive all traffic from the Internet.

I tried install a newer windows version and it wont work in 32MB of RAM and tried linux and every time I tried to install it had a problem when istalling so I went to 98 and still working on the freeNAS server (i have about 4 I'm working on) and I can get extenal access it just wont stay connected

FreeBSD ftw, the smallest amount of memory I'v ever run FreeBSD on was 64MB, 32MB should work just as well ;)