NBA

fugu

I had an idea for a quadcopter, one that could stay in the air for long periods of time, with minimal power consumption. Think of it like this quadcopter + dirigible == Neutrally Buoyant Aircraft. It would have about the same mass as a off the shelf quadcopter but would have a much larger displacement. The props would no longer have to expend energy just to allow it to hover. I was thinking mylar + He gas. I haven't run any numbers yet on how big it actually would be.

I think you're asking the wrong question. The maximum amount of weight of a drone can probably be calculated from the amount of flight time you want, the motors you're going to use, the size of the propellors you choose, the control board you want to use and a whole load of other options. A quick bit of math later that formula has been reduced to something with just 2 variables, 1: "How much are you willing to spend" and 2: "How long must it fly"