Control drones/rc via internet?

MartinX

There are a number of quadrotors and drones which can be controlled via wireless, from various devices. This limits the range for the rc vehicles - we can fly them no further than wifi range.

I'm wondering if there are drones/remote controlled flying machines that can be controlled over the mobile internet. If the drone contained 3G/4G phone innards, the controller could make contact with drone from and to wherever there is mobile phone reception, allowing a potential range of many many miles. I know there are laws sayinbg controllers must have line-of-sight and a range of 500 metres or similar? So I'm certainly not planning to actually system. Rather, this is a "what if" question. Abstract but lawful.

I'm interested if this tech has already been knocked together. If not, maybe I could have a go at it. But obviously I do not want to reinvent any wheels.

Any feedback most welcome.

Martin X

• 2 weeks later...

Usually when the FCC and FAA guys come knocking on your door.

No one's going to come knocking as I would build and use this drone in a country where there are no line-of-sight or range laws. I'd never dream of breaking a law! This idea is not necessarily bad. The military fly drones controlled via satellites and military networks. And if I were to build such a drone, I would make sure that, like other drones, loss of signal would result in the drone going into an automatic holding pattern. The mobile phone networks and the technology exists now. Nothing intrinsically wrong in using extant tech and infrastructure to build something different. That's what hacking is about.

I'm also interested in the idea of using HackRF in conjunction with radio-controlled vehicles. A piece of hardware like the HackRF might make it easier for individuals/small groups to develop a more autonomous RC vehicle.

Any thoughts?

If that's the case, then all you really need to be able to do is update gps waypoints to your autopilot over the cell network. I wouldn't try to directly fly an aircraft over the internet. Lag sucks playing call of duty, it could be deadly with an rc aircraft. Having been hit with parts of an rc plane that broke up in flight, just the fuel tank hit me, the gas engine missed by about 10 feet, and bounced off a house, I could see this as just more fuel to the over regulation of rc aircraft.

Ooh look - http://www.skydrone.aero/fpv - it's not just me having these bad ideas!

Introducing the Sky Drone FPV

The World's first low-cost, low-latency, digital full-HD consumer FPV solution that utilizes cellular networks. Complete with HUD, On Screen Display, a new era in FPV emerges from the sky. Sky Drone FPV consists of a hardware module you put on your multicopter/plane and a groundstation software that provides the live video feed, on-screen display and more.

Unfortunately "pre-order" price is $499. Goes up to $699 after pre-order period. Plus there are add-ons, like lenses for another $99. BUT:

The Sky Drone FPV System comes complete with:

• Sky Drone FPV module
  • Sky Drone FPV Groundstation app for Android & Windows
  • Free future software upgrades

For more information please visit Sky Drone FPV.

Still a bad idea?

Ooh look - http://www.skydrone.aero/fpv - it's not just me having these bad ideas!

Unfortunately "pre-order" price is $499. Goes up to $699 after pre-order period. Plus there are add-ons, like lenses for another $99. BUT:

The Sky Drone FPV System comes complete with:

• Sky Drone FPV module
  • Sky Drone FPV Groundstation app for Android & Windows
  • Free future software upgrades

For more information please visit Sky Drone FPV.

Still a bad idea?

All that is doing is spitting video over the cell network. My phone can do that...

Q: Is there any way to control my drone / UAV with this?

A: No. This is a FPV system only. It allows you to see what the drone is seeing in real-time with virtually unlimited range. While telemetry data is also being transmitted from the UAV to the groundstation app, controlling the UAV through the groundstation app is currently not available.

Also, HOLY FUCKBALLS this will get expensive real damn quick.

Q: How much data is usually been transmitted per hour?

A: With good HD quality at 30fps you will run through 5GB of data within one hour.

Q: Which drone / UAV is included?

A: The Sky Drone FPV set is a FPV (first person view) system only. Therefore, it only includes the camera, controller, usb hub, 3G/4G/LTE modem, cabling for such and the Sky Drone FPV software as well as access to the groundstation app for BlackBerry, Android and iOS.

Edited by barry99705