Wifi Pineapple doesn't see SD card

AwesomeRemco

Hi,

I have a problem. I haven't used my pineapple in a while but when i started using it again today, it suddenly doesn't see the SD card anymore. I took it out and put it back in again and i tried factoory reinstalling it. It still doesn't see it. What can i do?

btw im new to the pineapple and sorry if my english is wrong(im dutch)

Uhhh I'd personally recommend that if you use linux that you use gparted to format the sd card as a FAT32 and then put the sd card back in. Should be plenty of videos online on how to format using gparted.

You will need like a SD Card reader or a computer that has a SD reader so you can format it.

Search the forums, this is a common occurance with no real answer ( in my opinion). I spent hours with two new cards having same symptoms as you despite proper, recommended Linux formatting, formatting on Pineapple, whatever. Put the whole thing away, disgusted and came back to it to one of the 2 cards (both good SanDisk) now being recognized and other not. I don't know the answer, but do know that this is one of the wonkier aspects of the beloved Pineapple.

Just updated Pineapple to latest 2.0.4.

SD card was fine before update, came back up not seen. No surprise,as wonky card behavior is a way of life here.

Again starts the dance of formatting on the Pineapple, formatting in Linux, etc. I am a huge fan and supporter of Hak5 and the Pineapple, but this card nonsense is bullshit that everyone dances around, and is one area that really needs to be tightened up.

New cards, fast cards, shiny cards, brand x cards, brand y cards... whatever- it's ridiculously inconsistent and unpredictable.

There, I said it- end of rant.

Edited by ki2k

There's clearly something going on here. But could it be physical? I recently had a strange situation with my pineapple in which some (at least) of the infusion files on the micro-SD card couldn't be read. It seemed especially odd since directory listings did work. (I suppose that could have been cached.) I clicked the card in and out a few times, and I was then able to read the files without even rebooting.

I saw what you're talking about before, too. It's maddening- I have a dozen devices from digital cameras to Android tablets to Raspberry Pi, and all of them combined are not as screwy as the Mark V is for the SD card thing. It seems like certain actions hose the card badly, but haven't nailed it down yet.

Also the format utility on the Pineapple bothers me- it works, it doesn't work. It's "experimental", it's reliable- all depends on what thread you read in the forums.

Grrrr.

I saw what you're talking about before, too. It's maddening- I have a dozen devices from digital cameras to Android tablets to Raspberry Pi, and all of them combined are not as screwy as the Mark V is for the SD card thing. It seems like certain actions hose the card badly, but haven't nailed it down yet.

Also the format utility on the Pineapple bothers me- it works, it doesn't work. It's "experimental", it's reliable- all depends on what thread you read in the forums.

Grrrr.

It's experimental, as it doesn't work reliability at all times. Hence he (experimental) behind it.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

The message is really, really inconsistent on this, Seb. As inconsistent as the card behavior....

As I said, it's currently experimental. Hence the tag behind it. Does it usually work? Yeah. Does it sometimes not work and require a reboot to start working? Yeah.

It's to do with the SD card reader, sadly, so I cannot influence it.

Best regards,

Sebkinne