Pineapple V update taking a long time

bowlofgravy

G'day All

Just got a Pineapple V and have connected it to the internet. Ran the update part to it and it has completed the download. Now its saying MD5 Matches. Performing update. Please wait this can take a while. How long can this take as its been about 40min so far. on the Pineapple the blue light is steady flashing then it switches to a red light solid with some flickering from the orange/yellow light then back to flashing blue light.

Is this normal or has something gone wrong. Im using windows 8.1

Cheers,

So pretty much at the moment the pineapple upgrade failed, causing it to do a constant reboot with the flashing blue light then to the red solid then back to flashing blue. I have tried unbricking it using the factory 1.2 download from the wifipineapple.com and still nothing i have done it a few times even formatted the sd card and nothing.

Has anyone got anymore ideas? I'm really disappointed at the moment that I can't get this thing working.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Hello everyone!

I received my MK V yesterday and after the initial setup everything was working fine. I even installed some infusions and did some tests.

Then I mentioned that there was a firmware update available and so I started the installation routine over the webinterface just like bowlofgravy described above. I had exactly the same things happen. I let the update install overnight (6 hours) but there only was that constant green and the blinking blue LED. So after that time I disconnected the MK V from the power supply and tried to reboot, but unfortunately since that moment I still only get that combination of the solid green and flashinbg blue light!

I haver to say that my delivered MK V did not contain any Micro SD so I took one of mine (I formatted it via the webinterface).

So I thought it might have to do with the SD card which was pretty old so I bought an new one today (16GB SDHC class 10). But the problem remains!

Can anyone tell me what this combination of LEDs does exactly mean? I also tried the factory reset via DIP. Only the same combination of lights.

I also tried to flash the firmware 1.2.0 with the last DIP down - that works (I get into the recovery-webinterface). Until about 90% upgrade progress all four LEDs are active, but at about 90% progress I get the good old solid greed with flashing blue again. The Webinterface says the update is finished and I can restart the MK V with all DIPs up again and reboot, but that also results in the neverending LED-combination with the blue LED flashing.

What exactly has to be on the SD-card? In different threads I read about ZIP-Files with the bin and MD5-Files in it, but on the download-page that all these links refer to there are only the bin-Files?! I also tried to create the MD5-Files by myself but whatever I tried it did not work.

Please help me! I cannot imagine that - after the MK V worked just fine before the update - it is now damaged or something like that?!

Let's start from the basics.

Make sure you are powered up via walwart, if you have a different one than the one that came with your pineapple, use it, from my experience the ones that come with the mark V are not high quality.

If you can, make sure your pineapple is the only thing connected to that certain outlet.

Perform a hard reset via dip switches. ( or flash via sdcard, format SD card before copying firmware files to it)

then try to update Via webUI.

Let me know how that goes.

the sd card is actually formatted as FAT32. Is that ok or does it need to be FAT?

How can I create the md5-Files on a MAC? Just copy the MD5-hash in an empty textfile and save it as "MD5" without extension? What verison of files should I put on the SD-card after flashing the MK V with the 1.2.0 via recovery mode?

I just tried the following:

with the last DIP-switch down I connected to the recovery UI and flashed the 1.2.0 recovery-bin as described in the unbricking guide. That works, but when finished I get the blue light constantly flashing. I don't know whether that is normal behaviour... The message tells me to reboot with all DIP-switches up.

Before I did so, I formatted the SD-card and put the 1.2.0 update.bin on it (after renaming it to "update.bin" and put a text file named "md5" with the hash code in it in the root directory too.

then I do a reboot, but the blue light keeps flashing and flashing and flashing.......

now it was suddenly possible to boot and to log into the GUI again!!

i randomly tried the DIP-combination:

1: UP

2: DOWN

3: DOWN

4: DOWN

5: DOWN

and after 2 mins I got all lights flashing and I could log in again! I had to define a new password and everything was fine.

Then I tried to run the firmware upgrade again with the web interface and same problem again!!!

It seems to have an issue with the 2.0.4 update over the webinterface.

I hope I can reset it with the factory image again...

I'm not trying to waste your time but

Shows how to fix a bricked Mark V i'd recommend you try my video on unbricking download the factory firmware and follow the video see if that helps i don't really believe you need the MicoSD card that comes with the Mark V im pretty sure all that's on it is the factory firmware you can download from the wifipineapple site

Sounds like you might also have a problem with the MicroSD card you are using i believe the Micosd card can cause boot loops if not formatted correctly and using the format sd card in the pineapple is not a good ideal you might wanna use like gparted to format the microsd card as a fat 32

I just upgraded my Firmware this afternoon and found it far easier to follow the video that Zarabyte posted by Matthew H Knight, by the time I downloaded what I needed and upgrading took less than 10mins.

I just upgraded my Firmware this afternoon and found it far easier to follow the video that Zarabyte posted by Matthew H Knight, by the time I downloaded what I needed and upgrading took less than 10mins.

Awesome to hear!

Tried all those still no luck. I have emailed Shop@hak5.com. hopefully they can help me out as i have tried it all with no luck. done the unbricking, cant use the firware update method as it wont let me connect to it as its in a constant reboot, formatted the sd card (which is not a bad sd card at all) and added the new software to it and im doing all these to the T from what the videos are advising to do.

Mega disappointed at the moment.

Tried all those still no luck. I have emailed Shop@hak5.com. hopefully they can help me out as i have tried it all with no luck. done the unbricking, cant use the firware update method as it wont let me connect to it as its in a constant reboot, formatted the sd card (which is not a bad sd card at all) and added the new software to it and im doing all these to the T from what the videos are advising to do.

Mega disappointed at the moment.

Very well possible you might have gotten your hands on a bad Mark V which is highly possible.

All i can assume is either you managed to hard brick the Mark V or its just a defective mark v

But you should be able to access the factory flash web interface to factory reset if you sure your doing it right.

What kinda power source are you using for your mark v off hand you using the ac adapter that came with the mark v cause i've heard power issues can cause a boot loop.

Very well possible you might have gotten your hands on a bad Mark V which is highly possible.

All i can assume is either you managed to hard brick the Mark V or its just a defective mark v

But you should be able to access the factory flash web interface to factory reset if you sure your doing it right.

What kinda power source are you using for your mark v off hand you using the ac adapter that came with the mark v cause i've heard power issues can cause a boot loop.

I use the adapter that came with the MK V. It seems to be ok because before the update it seemed to work properly. I a mnow trying to get some similar power source to test whether that could be the cause. Also ordered a USB-cable to use an external battery pack. If that doesn't help, I will have to return my MK V to the hakshop

:sad:

Zarabyte,

Yeah im getting the recovery bit right im getting to the factory flash web interface via 192.168.1.1 (with the static IP set 192.168.1.2), selecting the factory file and clicking flash (with the Dip switch 11110). when the pineapple is updating got all three lights on with the red flickering during the flash. but i do notice that at the 62% mark the red light stops flickering then does the flashing blue (while it still says updating on the web interface) then goes to a solid red with a flicker or two on the orange then back to flashing blue, This sequence can happen a few more times before the update is complete.

I am using the wall power supply, supplied in the kit.

Zarabyte,

Yeah im getting the recovery bit right im getting to the factory flash web interface via 192.168.1.1 (with the static IP set 192.168.1.2), selecting the factory file and clicking flash (with the Dip switch 11110). when the pineapple is updating got all three lights on with the red flickering during the flash. but i do notice that at the 62% mark the red light stops flickering then does the flashing blue (while it still says updating on the web interface) then goes to a solid red with a flicker or two on the orange then back to flashing blue, This sequence can happen a few more times before the update is complete.

I am using the wall power supply, supplied in the kit.

Does it finish the flashing saying it was successful?

Do not use a battery pack!

There is plenty of info on the wiki page and pineapple university to answer alot of your questions.

Couple of them are not using a battery pack when this is happening it happens when the power source is connected to a wall outlet appears something happen when they upgraded to 2.0.4 that caused a brick something i thought was supposed to be able to be fixed easy by a factory reset from the recovery mode that is unique to the Mark V