INSTAGRAM tracking HELP

Computer_Security

Okay so I am doing a Job for an old buddy of mine and he is being harassed by some random punk on instagram so he wants to know who this kid is and if where he is from so I am thinking that is should trace his ip somehow but I can't think of a way since it is in an app. I was thinking that I could hop on my laptop and start a DM with him and then grab his ip IDK if that would work or not I really am stumped on this and it is embarrassing and annoying because it seems so simply any help would be very much appreciated and please note that we are not going to confront the kid on it or anything he is just curious

Before you go to all the effort of tracing an IP, what are you, or your buddy going to do once you've got it? An IP ties down to an ISP in an area so it isn't going to tell you who the person is.

If you are thinking of then starting to attack that IP in some way then walk away now, that is illegal and likely to get you into more trouble then you can get them into.

Before you go to all the effort of tracing an IP, what are you, or your buddy going to do once you've got it? An IP ties down to an ISP in an area so it isn't going to tell you who the person is.

If you are thinking of then starting to attack that IP in some way then walk away now, that is illegal and likely to get you into more trouble then you can get them into.

no i said that we have no malicious ideas just curious!!! and I sort of told him that I could do it

Just pointing out that before you to to the effort of tracking the IP there is very little you can do with it once you've got it so unless you are doing it purely for show then it is mostly a waste of time for simple harrasement on Instagram.

The easiest way to do it is to host a web site and then send the guy a link, once he clicks it then the IP will show in your server logs. I doubt you'd be able to get it through any of the modern IM systems, they are built to keep info private. One of them did have a vulnerability not to long ago where you could recover IPs but that was a one off rather than the norm.

Just pointing out that before you to to the effort of tracking the IP there is very little you can do with it once you've got it so unless you are doing it purely for show then it is mostly a waste of time for simple harrasement on Instagram.

The easiest way to do it is to host a web site and then send the guy a link, once he clicks it then the IP will show in your server logs. I doubt you'd be able to get it through any of the modern IM systems, they are built to keep info private. One of them did have a vulnerability not to long ago where you could recover IPs but that was a one off rather than the norm.

yea I didnt really think that there was an easy way to do it ughh

Still leaves you with two problems.

1. It would seem you boasted about being able to, found out you weren't and are trying to save face. Not a good foundation to build future actions upon.

2. Assuming you do manage to get the IP, you can do fuck all with it. You can't identify the guy specifically, you won't be able to say with certainty that the person at that IP is *currently* the person you're after so all you have is 4 numbers between 0 and 255 and three dots.

My advice to you would be to roll a dice a few times to get some random numbers, assemble them into something that reeks of an IP and say that's his IP right now but might change at any moment since he's on mobile or whatever. After all, you weren't going to do anything with it anyways, right?

Still leaves you with two problems.

1. It would seem you boasted about being able to, found out you weren't and are trying to save face. Not a good foundation to build future actions upon.

2. Assuming you do manage to get the IP, you can do fuck all with it. You can't identify the guy specifically, you won't be able to say with certainty that the person at that IP is *currently* the person you're after so all you have is 4 numbers between 0 and 255 and three dots.

My advice to you would be to roll a dice a few times to get some random numbers, assemble them into something that reeks of an IP and say that's his IP right now but might change at any moment since he's on mobile or whatever. After all, you weren't going to do anything with it anyways, right?

lol "you have 4 numbers between 0 and 255 and three dots" ITS TRUE and yea I think ill tell him that I have narrowed it down to someone in the area and that he is using a VPN

but I am really disappointed in my ability's he is really gullible so im not worried about that its just it sounds soooo simple!! what ever

lol "you have 4 numbers between 0 and 255 and three dots" ITS TRUE and yea I think ill tell him that I have narrowed it down to someone in the area and that he is using a VPN

You can't say both of these, if he is using a VPN then the IP is likely to be no where near you, it is unlikely you leave near the terminus of a VPN provider.

And it isn't your abilities, it is time and effort. You can get the IP with the website trick which is pretty easy to set up but if you want to go any further it is a lot of effort, probably most of it in at least grey areas. It simply isn't worth it which is what I was getting at at the start.

You can't say both of these, if he is using a VPN then the IP is likely to be no where near you, it is unlikely you leave near the terminus of a VPN provider.

And it isn't your abilities, it is time and effort. You can get the IP with the website trick which is pretty easy to set up but if you want to go any further it is a lot of effort, probably most of it in at least grey areas. It simply isn't worth it which is what I was getting at at the start.

yea but he has his head up his ass when it comes to computers i could say that he put his phone in a pumpkin and that makes it impossible to track!

because I didnt know if you were using kali or just like some program like cain

Nothing like that, magic secret sauce that I wrote for a paying client so can't release.

Its actually nothing amazing but contracts are contracts.

Computer_Security - If you were to grab his IP with the website link Digininja described above, and the abuse escalated, at least you'd have something to pass to the authorities who could get the ISP to disclose which customer had that IP at that time. That assumes he wasn't using a VPN, of course, but LE can usually lean on VPN providers too for serious stuff.

Digininja - As a mod, can't you just get CS's IP from this forum, anyway, or is that admin only? :smile:

Computer_Security - If you were to grab his IP with the website link Digininja described above, and the abuse escalated, at least you'd have something to pass to the authorities who could get the ISP to disclose which customer had that IP at that time. That assumes he wasn't using a VPN, of course, but LE can usually lean on VPN providers too for serious stuff.

Digininja - As a mod, can't you just get CS's IP from this forum, anyway, or is that admin only? :smile:

i think he grabbed my ip from the forum but im not 100% positive

usually when ever you have a chat of some sort you can grab the persons ip like over skype or xbox