VNC = detected as a virus/worm ! WTF ??

DLSS

Maybe it thinks it is a virus, because it might think it's not installed by you. I had something like that with a simmiliar program.

Because 90% of there customer base have no use for VNC and thus the likeyhood is that there not aware of it being install. Hence the OMG! Virus warning. Might be worth rasing a flag with both TightVNC and Avast! about it though, as TightVNC will definatly want to know about this.

macafee is the worst when something is detect it attempts to delete it and there's not quarintene function

this the worst when i accidently leave a usb drive plugged in with switchblade over night and in the morning you find out that your switchblade is mangeled and completly screwed.

the main reason it's doing this is because most average user's will never ever use such a function like VNC but it's damn irritating for power users and admins who use these tools and the stupid AV's black list it as a virus or a trojan but i guess it's always to protect the users

I ran into the same problem at work. I was cleaning spyware off an employees pwned boxen :roll: using MS Anti-Spyware Beta, now renamed Windows Defender. It caught Tight VNC as a backdoor or something silly like that. Thing is, VNC and SSH is part of our default configuration. It's a lifesaver in a helpdesk scenario.

I ran into the same problem at work. I was cleaning spyware off an employees pwned boxen :roll: using MS Anti-Spyware Beta, now renamed Windows Defender. It caught Tight VNC as a backdoor or something silly like that. Thing is, VNC and SSH is part of our default configuration. It's a lifesaver in a helpdesk scenario.

Same, all versions of Antispyware/Defender detect TightVNC as a backdoor. I assume that the vnchooks.dll etc. are sometimes used in combination with genuine trojan backdoors, and so it unfortunately also flags up genuine installations.

I've lost VNC a couple of times because Antispyware/Defender has pwned me... ¬_¬

you can say that again it's brilliant for managing "closet server", computer farms and in general large amount of computer centrally. but i mean really calling it spyware is just stupid.

but i guess i know why it is though, security auditing programs like Metasploit, Canvas and Core Impact have payloads where they can run VNC server and tunnel a connection back to the computer that exploited it, i guess those kind of payloads might use a modified version of tight vnc (or many of it variants) and therefore the stupid AV's just classify all vnc (and vnc like program) as spy ware