how to change windows xp home in to pro for $0.00!!!!

neowhitehat

what do you think about microsoft charging extra for pro if it is soo easy to convert home?  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• it suks and they shall now be pwned for it.
    • they got to make there money some how.
    • no way this will work.
    • that was too fuckin easy.

originally posted by CRU on www.hackers.mu

OK BACK UP YOUR DAM BOX BEFORE YOU SCREW IT UP. ALL POSTED BELOW DOES WORK BUT IF SOMEHOW YOU DECIDE NOT TO FOLLOW AND THEN HAVE YOUR BOX SCREWED IT IS BECAUSE YOU DID NOT FOLLOW DIRECTIONS YOU TAKE THE RISK YOU DID THE TWEAK/FIX YOU SCREWED IT UP

Now here is how it is done

Instructions:

Go to Start > Run

Type "regedit" in Run dialog to bring up Registry Editor

Backup registry, just incase something wierd happens (Go to File > Export > Write any name, choose any folder and press "Save")

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MASHINE" > "SYSTEM" > "ControlSetXXX" (XXX = highest number, e.g can be ControlSet002) > Control > ProductOptions

When u do that, you should see "ProductSuite" in the right window. Right click it and press "Delete"

Right click anywhere in right window and select "New" > "DWORD Value". Name it "Brand" and value data should automatically be "0". If it's not, right click it, choose Modify and type "0" in value data text box.

Close Registry Editor and restart computer

During reboot, press F8 to get a number of options and there choose "Load latest successfull configuration" (something like that, sorry I don't know exactly what it says, because I translated it from Russian).

That's it.

Microsoft charge much more money for Pro edition, when you can just buy Home edition and make Pro out of it. You will have all the features that Pro users have. It will even say "Windows Professional Edition" during reboot...

OK AGAIN READ!!!

OK BACK UP YOUR DAM BOX BEFORE YOU SCREW IT UP. ALL POSTED ABOVE DOES WORK BUT IF SOMEHOW YOU DECIDE NOT TO FOLLOW AND THEN HAVE YOUR BOX SCREWED IT IS BECAUSE YOU DID NOT FOLLOW DIRECTIONS YOU TAKE THE RISK YOU DID THE TWEAK/FIX YOU SCREWED IT UP

i thought i should share this with every one. i am now going to back up my box and try this. wish me luck.

I'm not convinced by this, I'v tried some stuff simply trying to get mmc features to move to home, and it complains about missing some thing or other, rather then windows is the wrong version. Additionally, if this actually works, why has it only been publicised now right before the releases of MS's next OS? Surly it would have been spotted before other wise?

well, when i actually install pro on my computer from an actual cd, it says pro is more organized and faster and stuff like that.

Never believe what MS says. There is a reason why we call them Micro Shaft.

Though if you do some digging around you can find a pretty nice hacked up image of XP that will be better configured then a regular install of XP. Tricks like selective startup are already setup and often there are a boatload of apps installed like VLC, Winamp, Putty, DIVX...

I am going to try the home into pro regedit this weekend on a buddy's comp, I’ll let you guys know how it goes down.

Pro has Remote Desktop server and other things like that, so you can't change Home to Pro with some simple registry changes.

Apparantly Vista will ship all on one disk, and at any time you will be able to pay some more to upgrade to a better version. That'll be open to a lot of hacks.

no-one in their right mind reads that stuff except for when they want a laugh, it's pure marketing BS

Everything MS says is marketing crap. Look at SMB2 vs SMB. They say that SMB2 is faster and has better latency, etc, etc, etc. As we now know, SMB2 has sooooo much more overhead than SMB that now a simple file operation will take a few minutes rather than a few seconds over a WAN.

</end incoherrent rant>

nay, this doesnt work, the box belives it now Pro, but isnt, for the the bare-bone installs are 400meg different, and in the form of network, driver, and admin options, there is quite a few sections missing.

If ur cheap and dont have a copy of XP:Pro (sorry 4 thoughs i called cheap) either go out and buy it, or as mentioned work for a place with loose polices (i know i do :P). This really isnt for thoughs with home, it pretty much changes the word 'home' -> 'Pro'... wats the point. So u dont get mocked? lol.

You will have to find it yourself...

But someone has made a programme that converts XP home/ prof into MCE, so I'm sure someone has done it Home to Prof...

(note: I am not endorsing the downloading, use or possession of any kind of copyright software that has been acquired illegitimately.)

someone has made a programme that converts XP home/ prof into MCE

I can't imagine why anyone would want to use MCE, but I make music, and use Ozone products, which aren't currently supported by MCE, so it just doesn't make any sense for me (or probably anyone who makes music with their PC).