Re-learning Windows and linux on a mac using parallels?

prettynoiselab

I have a tall order to fill.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3, osX 10.9.5.

Currently I have portioned the hard drive and run Windows on Boot Camp. I use this mainly for simple Solidworks drawings.

What I would like to do is remove the partition and run Parallels software so I can run VM Windows and linux os.

The goal is to get back into learning about windows and linux and hopefully begin a career change.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

I didn't want to have buy another machine for Windows and another for Linux.

I personally prefer vmware fusion over parallels. I'm a programmer professionally and my job requires me to be in windows (which I really dont like being in but what can you do?) and also in linux for a few things so I virtualize them both on my OSX machines. My boss uses parallels and has a crap load of issues with linux running properly in it. So check out vmware fusion its like $50 for the license.

To delete the partition you are going to want to open up disk utility and delete it from within there its pretty easy to do. Heres a tutorial.

My question to you would be what does removing the bootcamp stuff have to do with starting to use vmware and what not? Okay, sure, both require diskspace. Spend a few bob on an external HD that's either USB3.0 or Thunderbolt-connected and you should get decent performance as you try your luck with the new endeavour. If all else fails, you still have a useful external HD to play with.

Before any good free virtual machines were available for Linux I got my work to pony up the license fee for VMWare Workstation because even back then I outright refused to run Windows on my machine solely because work decided Microsoft Visual Source Safe was the bees knees when it came to version control software. I must admit that even back then their product impressed me. I've always been running self-compiled kernels and their kernel module almost invariably worked with even the very latest of kernels.

I'd been using their product until about... 2009 I think. If the quality of their offerings hasn't deteriorated I can assure you it'll be well worth the money.

No problem! I'm sure you won't be disappointed with VMWare, windows and linux run like they are on the physical hardware in it its crazy