ALFA AWUS036AC

Pada1

i had a lot of difficulty getting my AWUS036AC driver working. I am not so good with the linux, and ran into many different problems along the way but i got it figured out.

i got my AWUS036AC to work on my raspberry pi 2 by doing the following.

uname -a

my kernel is 3.18.11-v7+ #781

go to some folder

wget http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8812au-3.18.11-v7-781.tar.gz

you can change the numbers in the tar.gz filename to match your kernel version (leave the plus sign out)

tar xf 8812au-3.18.11-v7-781.tar.gz

sh install.sh

reboot

now it lists wlan0 in the ifconfig. and i can use it but the adapter is power hungry and i need to get a powered usb hub to run it on the pi.

a couple commands maybe need sudo'ed, i was rolling as root when i did it.

I don't want to downplay jeebus' efforts here, but I would be weary against using a codebase hosted on a fairly anonymous dropbox site. That chocolate box comment from Forrest Gump comes to mind.

I really wished people would try the instructions from that page I posted directly prior to the one from Jeebus and report back on how well that worked out for them.

• 4 months later...

What about airmon-ng chiappa? Have you tried that, does it also fail to set monitor mode? airmon-ng start wlan1

I usually use that, as it's one command instead of three (bringing the device down, setting monitor, and bringing it back up)

Plus on kali it makes it wlan1mon instead of just wlan1... Not sure if there's any benefit to that, but there is a benefit to running airmon-ng start multiple times on the device to create multiple virtual interfaces where you could monitor multiple channels with a single device. It really just channel hops on the device level, but it can be useful sometimes!

• 1 month later...