Mac OSX Internet Sharing with WiFi Pineapple howto

mram42

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got an error running this script.

225:412: execution error: System Events got an error: Can’t get window "Sharing" of process "System Preferences". (-1728)
NAT file created
NAT file edited
234:421: execution error: System Events got an error: Can’t get window "Sharing" of process "System Preferences". (-1728)
ICS started
IP on en0 set to 172.16.42.42
Ethernet is not a recognized network service.
** Error: The parameters were not valid.
Set Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 Alternate to 8.8.4.4
Made backup directory for completed config files
cp: /etc/bootpd.plist: No such file or directory
Copied completed config files
  • I'm running the latest version of OSX Yosemite (10.10.2) with latest security updates.
  • Terminal app is added to the list in the Accessibility menu.
  • When launching the script, before any output in the terminal appears, the "Sharing" panel (in the System and Preferences app) shows up.

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/33801-mac-osx-internet-sharing-with-wifi-pineapple-howto/

Mac OSX has certain issues. That topic I linked to covers most possible ways around it. Bear in mind it's for the Mk V though, not the Mk IV like in the video you posted.

I have an Mk V, I was able to run the script successfully with no errors, however the pineapple still doesn't have a wired internet connection. Tested with pineapple in wired classic and client mode. I am able to login at http://172.16.42.1:1471/# from my computer but pressing "show" ip results in "Error Connecting" when Wlan0/1 are off.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the tips, i tried some of them, but not seem to work, i am running a Mac Air OS X Yosemite.

Everytime i do some changes i am loosing internet connection and not able to reach 172.16.42.1:1471.

It took me so much time to figure out how it could work, even with all the great tips on the forum, yesterday i had to go to the Mac store, because i was not able to connect to the internet everywhere anymore :(

So I just bought yesterday a cheap Windows laptop, and than it is working fine.
I would rather to use my Mac (because windos 8.1 is ugly :) )

I am not so technical, so doing something with the library, scripts or doing something with: 'fconfig: interface bridge100 does not exis" is not my cup of tea.

​I was wondering if someone is willing to make screenshots of all the necessary steps and where on a Mac all steps should be done.

A real dummy proof step by step plan with screenshots would really help me out, so i can stop working on a Windows computer :)

I hope someone could make time for Mac dummies like me...

Thanks in advange.

Hey guys, I just wanna give a shout to the people who are using the script and getting it to work correctly, woohoo for this hackjob actually working! I have put this project on hiatus for a bit as I get other things in life sorted out, and work out a cleaner solution than applescript. I have recently gotten my hands on another newer (unibody) macbook so I will be able to test with even more hardware! I do plan to continue this, but not much any time in the near future. If you still need help, shoot me a pm, or email me at tgyk@tgyk.net! Thanks guys!

Virtual machines work anywhere.

Since this thread is still active, I thought I'd chime in and say that barry has the right idea; getting ICS working in a VMWare VM is much, MUCH easier than the hoops you need to currently jump through to get ICS working on the host OS. Furthermore, the isolation offered by the virtual machine is something I'm a pretty big fan of... the only software I've installed on my host OS is Flash Player for Spotify/YouTube playback, I do all of my development-related activities in virtual machines. Not sure if what you're about to do is gonna fsck your VM up? Take a snapshot, do your thing; if it breaks, roll back, otherwise just delete the snapshot. Virtualization really is dreamy...

Yes, the software is $70, but well worth it in my opinion, especially if you do any other development. Nothing like keeping your host OS clean and crisp..

Short order:

-Create a Linux VM (I use Kali)

-Change your network adapter to BRIDGED, selecting the interface you're using to get Internet on your Mac

-Add a second adapter, set it to BRIDGED, selecting your Thunderbolt Ethernet port (not Thunderbolt Bridge)

-If necessary, set your Thunderbolt Ethernet port to receive an IP through DHCP

-Start up your VM

-Configure the second adapter you added to the VM to have a static IP of 172.16.42.42 within the VM (so, if you're using Kali, you'll want to look up how to set a static ip on an interface in Debian). In my VM, eth0 is my bridged connection to my Mac's Internet connection (wireless) and eth1 is my connection between the Mac and the Pineapple (Ethernet).

-Shut down your VM, power on your Pineapple, then boot your VM once the Pineapple is fully booted (might not be necessary, but I find that things tend to go more smooth if the Pineapple is fully booted and connected to the Mac via Ethernet before firing up the VM)

-Run the wp5.sh script provided for setting up ICS in Linux from the Wiki; assuming your VM's network interfaces match mine, your inputs to the wp5 script should be default, default, eth1, eth0, your.gateway.ip.address, default, default (where default denotes the script's provided default value and your.gateway.ip.address denotes... well, your Internet gateway.)

That's that! You should be able to log into the management interface by navigating to 172.16.42.1:1471, clicking "Show" by Internet IP in the Network tile, and see a valid IP address.

Since this thread is still active, I thought I'd chime in and say that barry has the right idea; getting ICS working in a VMWare VM is much, MUCH easier than the hoops you need to currently jump through to get ICS working on the host OS. Furthermore, the isolation offered by the virtual machine is something I'm a pretty big fan of... the only software I've installed on my host OS is Flash Player for Spotify/YouTube playback, I do all of my development-related activities in virtual machines. Not sure if what you're about to do is gonna fsck your VM up? Take a snapshot, do your thing; if it breaks, roll back, otherwise just delete the snapshot. Virtualization really is dreamy...

Yes, the software is $70, but well worth it in my opinion, especially if you do any other development. Nothing like keeping your host OS clean and crisp..

Short order:

-Create a Linux VM (I use Kali)

-Change your network adapter to BRIDGED, selecting the interface you're using to get Internet on your Mac

-Add a second adapter, set it to BRIDGED, selecting your Thunderbolt Ethernet port (not Thunderbolt Bridge)

-If necessary, set your Thunderbolt Ethernet port to receive an IP through DHCP

-Start up your VM

-Configure the second adapter you added to the VM to have a static IP of 172.16.42.42 within the VM (so, if you're using Kali, you'll want to look up how to set a static ip on an interface in Debian). In my VM, eth0 is my bridged connection to my Mac's Internet connection (wireless) and eth1 is my connection between the Mac and the Pineapple (Ethernet).

-Shut down your VM, power on your Pineapple, then boot your VM once the Pineapple is fully booted (might not be necessary, but I find that things tend to go more smooth if the Pineapple is fully booted and connected to the Mac via Ethernet before firing up the VM)

-Run the wp5.sh script provided for setting up ICS in Linux from the Wiki; assuming your VM's network interfaces match mine, your inputs to the wp5 script should be default, default, eth1, eth0, your.gateway.ip.address, default, default (where default denotes the script's provided default value and your.gateway.ip.address denotes... well, your Internet gateway.)

That's that! You should be able to log into the management interface by navigating to 172.16.42.1:1471, clicking "Show" by Internet IP in the Network tile, and see a valid IP address.

There was never an issue of getting to the management console. The VM doesn't have internet connectivity in this case. When I try to update the Pineapple, I get a "No Internet" connection error, even though I can verify that Internet access is up (via browser).

There was never an issue of getting to the management console. The VM doesn't have internet connectivity in this case. When I try to update the Pineapple, I get a "No Internet" connection error, even though I can verify that Internet access is up (via browser).

I'm not sure what "this case" is, but if you're referring to the scenario I posted then yes, the VM does have Internet access...

With VMs, setting your virtual network adapters to bridged mode spins up the virtual machine with an IP address separate from that of the host machine (but obviously on the same network); it appears as a separate machine on your network. The only reason you wouldn't have an Internet connection at the end of the tutorial I posted above is if you did not input the correct parameters into the wp5 shell script. If you tried my method above and it didn't work, post a screenshot of the output from ifconfig as well as the output from running wp5.sh and I'll try to help you.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm on El Capitan, trying to get my Nano sharing. My Macbook is wireless, across en1. The nano is on en7. I'm not familiar with the script, but this is the output:

http://imgur.com/pY2KVbN

Any suggestion on what I should do differently?

Check the Nano forums, this issue has been raised in there. It is a problem with Mac OSX ICS unfortunately, but some people have managed work arounds.

• 1 month later...