Legendary phreaker Captain Crunch is seriously ill and cant afford medication

savecrunch

John Draper, also known as Captain Crunch, creator of the bluebox and legendary old school hacker is seriously ill and has been in hospital for a while now. It's not looking great at the moment, especially since he is not getting the necessary medical attention because of insurance issues.

The latest comment from his website:

And most of all, A donation to my qikfunder. I have no more life supporting medication. And I’m starting to feel the early signs of relapse. https://www.qikfunder.com/crowdfund/help-john-draper-captain-crunch. Please donate today, My insurance is not covering the more critical medications I need to fight the onset of this lung disease which is almost died from.

From the fundraiser page:

Multiple debilitating health issues landed John Draper in the Hospital (for over a month) where had had to undergo multiple surgeries, rehabilitation programs and even fight for his life (suffered a cardiac arrest under anaesthesia). John is a fighter and managed to overcome the worst; he was released a few days ago and is getting ready to continue his rehabilitation program as he now wonders how he will sustain himself.

His latest tweet on the time of writing:

https://twitter.com/jdcrunchman/status/515163649175203841

I want to thank with the bottom of my heart for an anonymous person for setting me up with qikfunder.... http://fb.me/3FkbrFuIp

Sorry to come here with bad news and begging for money to boot, but I figured that many in this community, like me, have been inspired and awed by this man. PS: I have no connection to the man or the fundraiser, I'm just someone who grew up reading textfiles telling of his exploits and was deeply touched on hearing of his troubles. I expect there are more people here who will feel the same.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please please help spread the word so we can give this legend a new lease of life.

This is bizarre...Ok, I may not be the most well versed person in hacking, telephony and really deep knowledge, but I've read plenty of 2600 to know who C.C was...And I find this so odd.. you'd think some one so smart, talented and obviously creative would have had a very well paying job...

I feel I need to donate, but I really hope this is legitimate.

This is bizarre...Ok, I may not be the most well versed person in hacking, telephony and really deep knowledge, but I've read plenty of 2600 to know who C.C was...And I find this so odd.. you'd think some one so smart, talented and obviously creative would have had a very well paying job...

I feel I need to donate, but I really hope this is legitimate.

I met him a half dozen years ago at a defcon bbq. He may have been a genius back in the day, but the years (and probably drugs) haven't been kind to him. He's a cool dude to talk to though.

• 3 weeks later...