Kismet Questions

dvarapala

I would like to use my Mark V for some WarWalking but I'm having some issues.

I installed the kismet-server package via opkg, but it's an old version (2010-07-R1-2) and not the latest (2013-03-R0) - is there a way to get the latest version?

The main issue I'm having is that Kismet cannot change channels on either wlan1 or wlan0, even after I kill the hostapd process. It dumps out an endless stream of error messages of the form

ERROR: mac80211_setchannel() could not set channel 5/2432 on interface
'wlan1mon' err -25
ERROR: mac80211_setchannel() could not set channel 9/2452 on interface
'wlan1mon' err -25
ERROR: mac80211_setchannel() could not set channel 2/2417 on interface
'wlan1mon' err -25

In searching the web for a solution, I read on the Kismet forums that the new version of Kismet may solve this issue (if only I could find a newer package).

BTW, this issue seems to have cropped up only recently. I'm pretty sure Kismet was working fine with the original 1.4 firmware that came with my Mark V, but now that I've upgraded it to 2.0.4 I'm having this issue; is it possible that this is related to PineAP, which is now using wlan1 which wasn't in use before?

All suggestions appreciated!

The errors you see don't matter. But, did you run opkg update before you downloaded the kismet-client, kismet-server packages?

Also, keep in mind wlan0 radio on Pineapple supports b/g/n however, wlan1 only support b/g. So when you modify your kismet.conf file keep that in mind. You can always add additional sources from within Kismet but, it's easier to just set the source int he conf file and call it a day. Let me know if you have any other questions.

******Please use TAGS in your posts so others can benefit when they search the site.*******