New hackrf... getting phantom broadcasts.... help....

jjd

So I just got my HackRf One, and testing it with sdr#, I have tried both the current install as well as nightly builds. first off I noticed it shows up as a jawbreaker (is this expected?).

when checking out broadcast fm stations everything appears to be backwards... so 107.1mhz is found around 93mhz until I select Swap I&Q (expected?)

after clicking swap fm broadcast stations appear to be where I would expect however 103.1mhz for example shows up at 103.1mhz but also at 119.1mhz... this seems.... odd, I find nothing in the air band from the local airport although it is very near (my handheld scanner picks up the tower without an antenna attached).

Did i miss something altogether? or is it a hardware issue?

any help would be great! I am new to sdr have played with rtl dongles a bit but nothing like hackrf

-jeff

Try going to greatscottgadgets.com and follow his hackrf tutorial in the education section. Many devices did not ship with the latest firmware and yours probably needs to be updated.

It is running firmware 2014.08.1 looks to be the latest release. Any other ideas?

I have figured out that the position of the phantom frequencies are based on my sample rate. If I set it to to then 106.1 shows up again at 116.1. If the sample rate is set to 16 then 101.1 show so again at 122.1. Still have not been able to receive anything but broadcast fm. But I have found repeating "noise" throughout all bands again repeating based on sample rate

So I just got my HackRf One, and testing it with sdr#, I have tried both the current install as well as nightly builds. first off I noticed it shows up as a jawbreaker (is this expected?).

KD6W - Mine shows up as HackRFOne, driver issue?

When checking out broadcast fm stations everything appears to be backwards... so 107.1mhz is found around 93mhz until I select Swap I&Q (expected?)

after clicking swap fm broadcast stations appear to be where I would expect

KD6W - Same here. Got used to flipping every time. No big deal.

...however 103.1mhz for example shows up at 103.1mhz but also at 119.1mhz... this seems.... odd, I find nothing in the air band from the local airport although it is very near (my handheld scanner picks up the tower without an antenna attached).

KD6W - Weird, though intriguing too. The 16 MHz difference is possible from a mixing component out of a number of strong oscillators in products we love.

I can't say with any authority why you have an image of the FM station in the air band and doesn't make sense since you have another receiver (with nearly as wide band input as the hackrf. What are you using for an antenna?

I can't say with any authority why you have an image of the FM station in the air band and doesn't make sense since you have another receiver (with nearly as wide band input as the hackrf. What are you using for an antenna?

I am testing with the ANT500. Tomorrow I will try to receive from my hand held ham radio and see if the hackrf also sees images of that 10mhz higher. I'm assuming it will since it seems to have an image of every "high powered" broadcast again. Even random noise. My spectrum is just the same things repeated every 10mhz (when hackrf bandwidth is set to 10000000)

Edited by jjd