[possible idea] UnionFS

alexl83

Wouldn't it be more manageable to use the sdcard as a unionfs on the Pineapple ? Would eliminate the need for infusions to be coded for installation/dependencies on sd card, and would eliminate the ugly/hacky need to symlink to root files pertaining to packages installed on the sd (think about init scripts).

Just Wishlisting.

Edited by alexl83

Installed evilportal; by default it installs nodogsplash onto main memory, not sd; so I manually installed nodogsplash to sd and I had to link a bunch of files/dirs from /sd to / (think about repeating everytime an upgrade comes, for every package) so I thought it would be nice to have just a root tree comprising flash and sdcard in unionfs; no more fiddling, 1 choice less to manage in opkg, more elegant, more manageable, just my 2 cents ;-)

Every time an update comes out, configurations are not lost; and an sd backup would take care of such configurations for all the other cases.

Edited by alexl83

Some infusions let you choose to install deps to Internal/SD while others don't; I tried installing manually to SD for p0f & evilportal and found no problems (apart from symlinking to / which I did manually), we'll see if any problem arises.

The reason why there is no option to install nodogsplash to SD on Evil Portal is because back in the day of the MK 4 when I had initially developed Evil Portal there were a lot of dependencies that were needed (2 kmods which i don't remember) and it was a huge pain to get everything happy and I didn't want to have to deal with support for it so the option was just never there. However in the next release of Evil Portal I see no reason to not have an install to sd option available

The reason why there is no option to install nodogsplash to SD on Evil Portal is because back in the day of the MK 4 when I had initially developed Evil Portal there were a lot of dependencies that were needed (2 kmods which i don't remember) and it was a huge pain to get everything happy and I didn't want to have to deal with support for it so the option was just never there. However in the next release of Evil Portal I see no reason to not have an install to sd option available

Thank you, I think it would be a nice addition, however, I think a single filesystem would be a useful upgrade =)

Edited by alexl83

I try for my infusions to also let the user choosing where to install the dependencies. Some of them are not updated yet but will be in future releases (e.g. p0f). Others requires more than just installing a package (e.g. sslsplit and generation of SSL certificate).

Edited by Whistle Master